My daughter recently saw the Broadway musical "If/Then" starring the Tony winning actress Idina Menzel. The play focuses on the character Elizabeth (Idina Menzel) and the choices that set her on or changed her life path. When you look back on your own life and think, what if, if then, should I, I shouldn't have....the path could have been a broken road or a smoothly paved highway that led you to where you are now. We are faced with choices every day, will the choice you make, help someone? When you look back and think what if and if then, would the outcome be for a greater good.
My friend Vicki has a project that involves one of those choices you will make today. Read the post here.
"I used to pray that God
would feed the hungry,
or do this or that,
but now I pray that he will guide me
to do whatever
I am supposed to do,
what I can do.
I used to pray for answers,
but now I'm praying for strength.
I used to believe that prayer changes things,
but now I know that prayer changes us,
and we change things."
Love to all,
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Tuesday, July 29, 2014
DH had thrown it in the trash, an oxford cloth shirt with the buttons still on it! As I was cutting the buttons off I kept thinking how soft the cloth had become from years of washing and ironing. My creative gears began to turn and the idea of an apron came to me.
The back of the shirt became the front panel of the apron and the cuffs now are large pockets.
The front pocket of the shirt, I added to the center front of the apron.
The opposite front side of the shirt is now a pocket that extends along the bottom of the apron. The button band is the neck strap.
Most of the shirt was used in creating the apron, I liked it so much I wore it all day long!
Wee Care Update:Size Tiny suitable for 1 pound.
Several in the works these two complete.
Trapper continues to grow! He weighed 6.2 pounds when we got him. 6 weeks later he has gained 20 pounds! The vet says he will be a BIG boy!
I have been taking a correspondence course through SAGA, beginning smocking. The first part of the course was a sampler of the different smocking stitches. At different points the sampler was returned to the teacher for critique. Each time the good, the bad and the ugly was pointed out to me. LOL there was no mention of ugly, but those stitches that were not up to par were pointed out along with ideas on how to improve. The stitches that were done well were also pointed out and gave me an example on how the stitch should look. The critique was detailed and very helpful. If you are wanting to learn to smock, I highly recommend the class.
I have progressed to the final project a bishop dress. Here the fabric has been pleated and I have stitched the cable, stem and outline stitches.
Summer is speeding right along, between the dogs, yard, stitching and housework it seems as though each day goes a little faster.
Love to all,
Thursday, June 19, 2014
Wedding bells are ringing once again, time for me to create a Wedding Bottle:
The existing bottle top is covered with copper foil and then solder is applied. Patina completes the aged appearance. Ribbons, cords and threads are wrapped and tied with the wedding colors in mind.
The photo is placed inside the bottle by gently rolling it into a tube that will fit the opening. Chopsticks are used to unroll the photo once it is inside the bottle. Sand, seashells and the tiniest bit of glitter were added, as a trip to the beach will be the honeymoon plans.
"And they called it Puppy Love"......
This little fellow came to steal our hearts.
He was one of those "free" puppies....there is no such thing as a free puppy.
He is 6 weeks old.
Sweet a quiet one minute and ready to play the next.
Look at those needle teeth!!! My hands look like I have been working with barbed wire.
Exploring the sidewalk.
Posing after digging in the sand that was left over from the recent stone work.
Can't you see why I am head over heels?
His mother a German Shepherd....the father, they think was a Boxer, but I am thinking a Lab,
What do you think?
Smocking and Dyeing
I have wanted to try using a variegated thread to make the Wee Care Gowns suitable for a boy or girl.
The DMC threads I have tried all have a color change that is too long. My friend Lorraine did a post on some threads she had dyed using short spacing. After some advice from Lorraine I decided to try dyeing my own thread.
I used DMC 6 strand embroidery floss and Rit dye. Lorraine suggested another brand of dye, but Rit was easy to find and I am familiar with using Rit.
My first attempt....the colors were way too strong but the spacing is good.
On the next skein I used a diluted color and the results were great.
This may become my Signature Wee Care color!
Love to all,
Tuesday, June 3, 2014
Lot's going on around here,
baby birds leaving the nest.
waiting for momma,
here she is, never too far away
a bit of nourishment,
a pep talk on flying
a kiss for luck
just remember, I am close by
always watching and wanting the best for you.
You made it to the yard! Now lets try for that big tree!
Wee Care Gowns
5 other gowns were sent to the shop where I learned to smock,
they are trying to get 100 gowns.
Stone Work Complete
but the yard is a mess
longer windows added, new shutters on the way.
Rufus waiting for more workmen to arrive.
Love to all,