Saturday, July 10, 2010

My First ATC Swap

Hey! We have had so much interest in the ATC Swap we have set up a blog for all the activity!
Blissfull ATC Swap is where you can leave your comment and we will add you to the list.  The first month's theme is Sisters.  Please, read PS at the bottom of this post if you even think you might be interested.


I have been intrigued by ATC's (Artist Trading Cards) for sometime now.  I had not created any because,  I was so concerned about the details of making one.  Do you ever get like that, so worried about doing something wrong you just don't do anything at all?  I had seen several blog posts about the ATC's and wanted to learn more.
  One day my friend Wendy  from Bliss Angels did a post saying she had 6 ATC's she would like to trade.  I left a comment and told Wendy I had never created an ATC,  but if she was willing to accept my first attempt, I would trade with her.  Wendy graciously agreed.
 My first thought was, now what?   I don't know how to make an ATC!  I did a little online research and found Art In Your Pocket a great site that has all the particulars.  There really are no rules other than size and writing the info on the back.  Scrappers,  painters,  doodlers,  needleworkers,  mixed media and about anyone else can make these.  Make an ATC with your logo, point of view or tell the world what you think, anything goes.  After seeing the examples on Art In Your Pocket, I sat down and got to work.

These ATC's are so much fun to make.  Very little time involved as the size is so small.  There are people that use playing cards as a base for their ATC's.  If you have been told you are not playing with a full deck of cards, this may be the place to use those cards.

Here  is the ATC Wendy created and wanted to swap,

Here is My First ATC, that I traded with Wendy.


The inspiraton for my ATC comes from Susan Lenz.  Her art work is very thought provoking.  Please, visit her blog,  she has just created her own website for museums and galleries to see her work.  She does grave rubbing quilts amoung  other things.  I remember grave rubbings from the 70's, Susan gives them a new twist.
So, the inspiration was there.  I visited a local cemetary,  asked permission to do a couple of rubbings and you see the result above. 
I am now going to swap my next ATC with  Donna from Brynwood Needleworks.  Donna is in league all her own when it comes to needlework.  I will be so excited to see her ATC.  Donna knows this will be my 2nd attempt and that's okay with her.  I love my blogging friends and sisters. 
Please think about creating some of these fun little projects.  Wendy would like to start a swap on a regular basis.  Visit her blog and leave a comment that you will join us.  Maybe some of you Bloggerette Sorority sisters would like to get involved!  This is going to be fun!
Debbie

PS
I have recieved several emails from people that were like me and thought about making an ATC, but just weren't sure about the process.  This was my reply to one of them, maybe it will answer some of your questions as well.  Please, feel free to contact Wendy or myself with any questions you have.
Love,
Debbie
Hey ----,

I was just like you, where do I begin? People usually collect the ATC's and keep them in a book, box or displayed in a frame. They are handled, but not anymore than a greeting card or treasured photo. So, I am thinking White Glue like Elmers or Glue Sticks, double stick tape, rubber cement, I think about anything that holds well. The size is 2 !/2" x 3 1/2", a playing card is that size, so you can use that for a base. Then just add stuff to the top. The first month's Theme is Sisters, so think of something that means Sister to you. Could be a picture of a nun, a poem you have written, a photo of two girls playing or even a picture of your sister. Then doodle on it, or add lace, or rick rack, candy wrappers, anything goes. If, I asked my 2 daughters to make one based on sisters (with the way they fight) we may end up with devil horns or a big X over the face.


I think that was the hardest part, when I started, was thinking what will I put on it?  After I realized it didn't matter, it was whatever I wanted to say, I could then make one. They are so small it really doesn't take much time and you really can't put that much on it anyway. Sign the back of your ATC, date it and title it.  If you would like to include a list of materials used you may.  After you make it pop it in the mail to your swap partner, of the month and wait to see what they send you.  Regular postage will usually cover it. (That is the main reason we are keeping it to the States only for now.)  You will have their email address to converse with them about addresses and any other questions you may have for each other.  ----, I so hope you will join us. If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Debbie
Here is the link http://blissfullatcswap.blogspot.com/

17 comments:

The Answer Is Chocolate said...

I get like that all the time...so worried about not doing it right that I don't do it at all. This turned out great!

Karen said...

Sounds fun! Leaving on vacation next week, but will check into it when I get back!
YAY! Karen ~ Some days are diamonds

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Nice atc's!! Do you want to swap with another Magpie??? If so, let me know.

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Debbie:
Thank you so much for your gracious words about me today. I'm thrilled to be trading ATCs with you and look forward to seeing your next creation.
It was great "chatting" with you last night, too!
TTYS,
Hugs from your Bloggerette Sister in FL
Donna

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

I'm also the same way I get so worried that I'm not going to do something the right way, and want attempt to do it at all!!! Love your photo's thanks so much for sharing them. Blessings~~~ Daphne

Riki Schumacher said...

Hi Debbie, thanks soooo much for stopping by and leaving such a warm comment. I am so excited about the new puppy, I can't begin to tell you. Hey, you did great for your first ATC, I've never made one either. Someday. Take care, I'll keep everyone posted on the new baby! Hugs, Riki

sissie said...

Hi Debbie,
Thanks for your comments today on my blog. I'm so glad that you understand and "get" what I was trying to say, but couldn't put into words.

I have also been afraid to try something new for fear of failure, or fear that it wouldn't measure up to others. But, since I've been blogging my confidence has soared.

Thanks for your inspiring words.

Also, I really, really love your art piece. It's thought provoking and real.

hugs
Sissie

Mollye said...

Yours is lovely. I don't think I want to do the grave rubbings but would love to swap ATC's with you any time. Just name the theme and how many. Mollye

Dorthe said...

Hi dear Debbie,
Your first attempt is endeed, very interesting and thoughtfull, I love it,and you made it all yuour own- so great.
And wonderfull to read ,that many other people,has the same "worries" like me, :).
Love and hugs,Dorthe

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

Thank you for your visit today. I've never heard of these and since I'm not all that creative without fresh flowers or dishes involved...this may be beyond my doing, but I loved reading about them and seeing yours!

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Debbie,
I just came over to say "Hi" and "How are you doin'?"

I see by your blog you've been busy! Me too!
I've got your name in the drawing...just wanted to be
sure you knew you are in it.
Hugs,
Cindy
xoxox

Fun With This and That said...

You did good I had forgot about grave rubbings.I have one from a girl I knew from England. I think I would like to do the swap of ACT's Laura Q

Marsha (Sassy Mini Dolls) said...

Great job!!

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who has not tried her hand at an ACT . . but you're one step ahead of me!!!

Hmmmm, I'm not quite ready . . . . YET!!

sjmcdowell said...

Hello Debbi,

Oh YES I would love to try making an ATC. like you and some of the other ladies here I have never made one....but, I have always wanted to so thank you so much for asking me!! Just let me know when I should get started and we can do a swap!

Also thank you for your sweet comment about my Miss Mary challenge!!

Hugs, and many Smiles,

Susan
Art ofMine

mya said...

Good evening, I have been thinking about these little ATC's, alot and I would like to make one. I mean I want to try to make one as a trial just to see if I can. I do have a question - I know it sounds too basic, but that is where I am starting - 3 books earlier than "ATC's For Dummies." Glue - what kind is good. Yes, I have used glue before, but the project I was working on was not going to be handled, and I would hate to swap (later) with some one and have it fall apart or come off the backing.
For me this is a drum roll event.

Jacalyn @ rmebathproducts.com said...

I am so glad you "took the plunge" and created your own ATC! We never know what we can create until, well, we create it! Beautiful job!

Hugs,
Jacalyn

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Debbie,
What a great idea!!! I won't be able to participate now, but I will see how the fall looks for me...(we're going to be out of town.)
I wanted to ask you to go to my website (it's accessible from my blog) and see the ATC's there...They're in the 3rd and 4th gallery...they took a LONG time to make! But, I'd love for you to see them!
Hugs,
Cindy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...