Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Last Butterfly


If you are a regular reader
of my blog, you know I
try to speak from the heart.
Recently I was made aware
of  a very worthwhile event
that I will be participating in
 and I hope you will too.

Instead of relying on my own
words, please read an excerpt

"The Butterfly Project"
 hosted by
 The Holocaust Museum Houston
 in Texas, USA.
 Their mission as follows:

The Holocaust Museum Houston
 is dedicated to educating people
 about the Holocaust, remembering
 the 6 million Jews and other
innocent victims and honoring
 the survivors' legacy.
 Using the lessons of the
 Holocaust and other genocides,
 we teach the dangers of hatred,
 prejudice and apathy.
 And the tag line following it reads:

Stop Hate. Starting Here.

The Butterfly Project mandate/
 is to remember the 1,500,000
 innocent children who perished
 as a result of the Holocaust
by collecting 1.5 million
 handmade butterflies.

In Spring 2013, these butterflies
 will then become a break-taking
 exhibition to serve as a memory
 of this event.

Can you imagine? 1.5 million children
 translated into 1.5 million butterflies....?
 If you wondering why a butterfly,
 the project is based on this poem -


I Never Saw Another Butterfly



The last, the very last,

 

So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow



Perhaps if the sun’s tears would sing



against a white stone....



Such, such a yellow



Is carried lightly ’way up high.



It went away I’m sure



because it wished



to kiss the world good-bye.





For seven weeks I’ve lived in here



Penned up inside this ghetto.



But I have found what I love here.



The dandelions call to me



And the white chestnut branches in the court.





Only I never saw another butterfly.



That butterfly was the last one.



Butterflies don’t live in here, in the ghetto.







Written by Pavel Friedman, June 4, 1942
Born in Prague on Jan. 7, 1921.

Deported to the Terezin Concentration Camp on April 26, 1942.

Died in Auschwitz on Sept. 29, 1944.


Pavel Friedman was 23.
------------------------------------------------
My eldest daughter is 23.

Again, I am touched by this
event in history.  My
heart breaks for those that
played any role in this tragic
event.  The Holocaust like 9/11
is something we should never
forget.

I hope you will want to become
involved in this event.

Love to all,
Debbie










19 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm in Debbie and I'll post about in on my blog too. Thanks for telling us about this.

Ruth said...

Thanks Debbie for your lovely post and for sharing this event. I intend to click right over and be involved.
Hatred is truly an evil mankind must continue to fight.

agypsyangel said...

Wow, I have always been touched/curious about auschwitz, since highschool anyways. Sad and bizarre how one man convinced so many. I am going to check out the butterfly project.
Smiles and hugs,
Kim

Fun With This and That said...

I was at the Holocaust in Washington DC. But I also went to a camp in Germany. It makesyou sick to think of them poor souls.
I'm on my trip hope I can get to blog . Will see. Come visit. Laura

ramsam said...

This is cool, I actually had to memorize and perform that poem with drama competition class. I forgot about that until I read it.

I watched the movie Genocide on TV a couple of weeks ago. It is so well done, just stunning and so haunting. I am with you- we must not forget, and can never, ever , follow blindly and put our fate in other's hands...especially political leaders.

Dorthe said...

Oh sweet, this is also, something to :never forget--a very sad, and terribly part of world history.The STOP HATE project is realy worth participating in,-to make as many people as possible focus on : NEVER AGAIN----
Hugs,Dorthe

Mimi said...

Hi Debbie,
WHat a great project, I will look into this. I visited the Holocaust Museum in Wash DC, twice, I think ALL people should make a point of visiting a Holocaust Memorial, when I go to Germany next summer--I will be taking a side trip to one of the Concentration Camps, we MUST ALL remember and Never allow this again. Yes, 9/11 was a terrible day and those that inflicted this pain on us and anyone who thinks it is OK, should be very sorry.
Have a great day and I am glad more of you are sugar free type people like me--I hate to think I am the only one.
hugs,
jamie

Donna @ The House on the Corner said...

What a wonderful project. Thank you so much for letting us know. I'd love it if they had enough butterflies to commemmorate everyone that died.

DeeDee said...

what a great project...I have my butterflies already to go....thanks for letting me see this...I cannot wait to see your butterflys..

MOLLYE said...

Oh Debbie what a poignant post here. Thank You for bringing to our conscience. Also thank you for comment to Buddy. I feel as if Im losing another son.

Deborah Ann said...

What a beautiful way to honor those who died and/or suffered in the Holocaust. Seeing a butterfly fluttering across the sky is a good reminder that not everyone had that kind of freedom. God bless you!

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

What a wonderful project...can you imagine all those butterflies?

Laurie said...

Hi Debbie! Thanks for coming over to my blog, yours is wonderful and I also will be following! I'm involved too in the butterfly project, what a beautiful idea.

Lynn Richards said...

Oh my goodnes, I have chills after reading this. I will go check out the blog. Thank you for sharing this.
xox
lynn

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Oh Debbie, what a great project!!! Thanks for sharing. I wanted to thank you for stopping by for a visit and for your sweet comments... Blessings~~~ Daphne

Francie of The Scented Cottage said...

If we ever forget we are done for. If we let history be re-written that will be tragic too.
thank you for letting us know about this project.
(())
Francie

Lynn said...

I already started my butterfly, and some people already sent them to Trudi, it is going to be an amazing yet emotional event, I hope I get to see it live on tv at least.

Hope you are well sweetie :)
Hugs, Lynn

Olivia~ said...

Debbie, This is a really neat event. My husband and I have watched alot of wwii documentaries and movies.
Amazing...desperately sad in so many ways.
Hugs,
Olivia

Celestina Marie Designs said...

Hi Debbie, So nice to meet you and thank you for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower.
I have enjoyed my visit here and now a follower too.
This is a special project and I am going over to sign up too. Thank you for sharing this reminder of a tragic part of our world history. We should never forget!!
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...