Thursday, September 23, 2010

To You My Friends

Sometimes you get one of those forward emails
that has a message that touches your heart.
This is one of those emails................


We all know or knew someone like this!!


One day, when I was a freshman in high school,

I saw a kid from my class was walking home from school.


His name was Kyle.

It looked like he was carrying all of his books.


I thought to myself, 'Why would anyone bring home all his books on a Friday?


He must really be a nerd.'


I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my friends tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my shoulders and went on.


As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward him.


They ran at him, knocking all his books out of his arms and tripping him so he landed in the dirt.



His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about ten feet from him...



He looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes



My heart went out to him. So, I jogged over to him as he crawled around looking for his glasses, and I saw a tear in his eye.


As I handed him his glasses, I said, 'Those guys are jerks.'


They really should get lives.


He looked at me and said, 'Hey thanks!'


There was a big smile on his face.


It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude.


I helped him pick up his books, and asked him where he lived.


As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before...


He said he had gone to private school before now.


I would have never hung out with a private school kid before.



We talked all the way home, and I carried some of his books.



He turned out to be a pretty cool kid.


I asked him if he wanted to play a little football

with my friends


He said yes.


We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know Kyle, the more I liked him, and my friends thought the same of him.


Monday morning came, and there was Kyle with the huge stack of books again.


I stopped him and said, 'Boy, you are gonna really build some serious muscles with this pile of books everyday!


 He just laughed and handed me half the books.



Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best friends..



When we were seniors we began to think about college.


Kyle decided on Georgetown and I was going to Duke.


I knew that we would always be friends, that the miles would never
be a problem.

He was going to be a doctor and I was going for business on a football scholarship..


Kyle was valedictorian of our class.


I teased him all the time about being a nerd.


He had to prepare a speech for graduation.


I was so glad it wasn't me having to get up there and speak


Graduation day, I saw Kyle.


He looked great.


He was one of those guys that really found himself during high school.


He filled out and actually looked good in glasses.


He had more dates than I had and all the girls loved him.

Boy, sometimes I was jealous!


Today was one of those days.


I could see that he was nervous about his speech.


So, I smacked him on the back and said, 'Hey, big guy, you'll be great!'


He looked at me with one of those looks (the really grateful one) and smiled.


' Thanks,' he said.


As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and began


'Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you make it through those tough years.


Your parents, your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach...but mostly your friends.....


I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the best gift you can give them.


I am going to tell you a story.'


I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told the

first day we met.


He had planned to kill himself over the weekend.


He talked of how he had cleaned out his locker so his Mom wouldn't have to do it later and was carrying his stuff home.


He looked hard at me and gave me a little smile.


'Thankfully, I was saved.


My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable..'


I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome, popular boy told us all about his weakest moment.


I saw his Mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile.


Not until that moment did I realize it's depth.


Never underestimate the power of your actions..


With one small gesture you can change a person's life.

For better or for worse....


God puts us all in each others lives to impact one another in some way.


Look for God in others.


'Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.'


There is no beginning or end.. Yesterday is history.


Tomorrow is a mystery.


Today is a gift.


It's National Friendship Week. Show your friends how much you care. Send this to everyone you consider a FRIEND.


To you my friends.

Love to all,
Debbie

28 comments:

Theresa said...

I have read this before and it is one of those that I will read again and again! What a wonderful thing friendship is! Thanks for sharing this with me! HUGS!

sjmcdowell said...

Hi Debbie,

I am typing this with tears in my eye's.
I had never heard this story before, but it reminds me of a boy that I knew in Jr. High School. He lived in a home for boys about two blocks from our school. He was always a bit of a loner and I was the shyest girl in the school.
I remember always seeing him in a rather large Navy blue Pea Coat like Sailers wear. I took up enough courage one day to say Hi and we became friends instantly. I had two best friends already, one girl was from Checkoslovakia and the other girl was Polish...We were the kids who stood apart, the four of us. We defended each other against bullys and kids who would make fun of us.
It was a hard time for the four of us but without each others friendship and support we would have had a very rough time.
My girlfriend from Poland was killed when she was 21...ironically enough she called me after two years one might to tell me how happy she was and that she was engaged to a wonderful young man who was Polish as well....She said she wanted to have lunch with me and would call...minutes after that call she and her fiance got in her car and an old boyfriend was waiting for her out in the street and shot and killed my dear friend.
My other girlfriend became a Psychiatrist and is happy and doing well.
I will never know what happened to... his name was "Darrell"...but when my third son was born he was given the name Darrell for his middle name. My prayer is that life has been kind to
him and that he is happy.

A Friend is Gods gift to us to cherish and protect...just like God does for each of us every day.

Susan

Ruth said...

I've been having a "bad" day today..... Now, not so much ;)
Thanks for sharing Debbie.

Blessings.... Ruth

Eileen Bergen said...

Lovely ... Thank you, Debbie.

Blissfull ATC swap said...

Debbie I too starting crying but for differant reason to Susan.. I have that teenager, Owen has been bully for most of this time here ... I know when someone says to me OH you are from a differant country how nice but for Owen it was a curse, he has a accent that put him apart from the other kids in middle school...to say Middle school was hell for Owen and me is putting it lightly... He would come home and shut him self away... with darwing more and more.... not want to tell me what he's days were like..... talking to the school was a waste of time.


I was ready to pull him from school to home school UNTIL one evening on the school bus One of the group of bullies came on the bus. calling owen names as he passed.....


Owen told me later it was bad anough that he had to watch out at school for this group but now the kid was on his bus the only place where he could get some peace...... but that night it all changed.... A boy who Owen had spoken to a little on the bus called Shawn stood up told another to shut up as Owen was his friend..and if did didn't stop Shawn would have something to say about it.....Owen came home with a lightness in his step, and smile on his face as he told me what had happen..... Owen and Shawn became firm friends and there isn't a day that I don't thank that Shawn stepped in the say something....I think I would be writing another ending if he hadn't.


Owen is now a senior ready to go into the world he has found this place in high school and his group of friends.... I have Byron going into Middle school next year and to say I worried is an understatement...but I can only hope that his friends will sticks up for him as he sticks up for them wendy

Pam Kellogg said...

Thank you so much Debbie. Yes, words & actions can make or break someone else. I'd much rather make someone's day rather than break it.

Hugs,

Pam

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Debbie, I had received that email in the past too and I never tire of it. Wendy and Susan's stories are heart wrenching all too common. It's good to send a reminder of the effect words and actions can have on others. We're only here a short time, make it worthwhile. Loved your post. Connie

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

What a story and the comments here tell even more stories. I'm really glad you posted this.

agypsyangel said...

Its such a true story and good to remember. Just like a smile to a stranger, you never know what battles people are facing.
Hugs,
Kim

Francie of The Scented Cottage said...

Sometimes God puts the perfect people in just the right place and time...it's always good to have a reminder of how powerful our actions can be and how much they can impact another persons life.
(())
Francie

Auntie Bliss said...

I do remember this email...whether it happened or not the message is so very true! I hope I am always an encourager to people.

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh, I love that email...I had gotten it a long time ago and it is absolutely true--we never know what our words or actions can do for a person...even on here...an encouraging word...a prayer...a "how are you." It all means so much...thank you for posting it and HUGS to you!!!
xox
Cindy

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Hi Debbie, what a great post, I've never read this before, thanks so much for sharing it!!! hugs~~~ Daphne

Ike said...

This email surfaces from time to time and is always well received. Not long ago someone I hadn't heard from in years popped up on Facebook, sent a message which I replied to, and stated "Remember when. . ." and commented on several things that had influenced our lives. Remarkable that you posted this on your blog. Love you much, Gayle

Michele said...

Very enlightening! Thanks for posting this.

Jillayne said...

Another thoughtful, thought provoking post - good for you for putting this story out there again. The pain young people who are cast out have to endure is one of the saddest things. I think we need to try to consciously demonstrate simple kindnesses in all our interactions- our children, all children watch us and learn from us.

DeeDee said...

this put a deep lump in my throat...this is so very true..thanks for the great story...enjoy your day.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've been a few days commenting on this post, simply because I keep going back and reading it over and over. What a powerful message it has. It reminded me of one of my favourite books (Five People You Meet in Heaven - by Mitch Albom).

BonjourRomance said...

What a heart warming stsory, and a good reminder how important our friends are - and being a good friend! Thank you for coming by to visit and folowing along. I am so sorry it has taken me so long to come by, I have gotten behind. I'm a new follower and will be back soon,
Have a good week,
Mimi

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Great story! I read every word and thought where is this going? I guess it is just like befriending someone, what is the meaning and where is this going! Thank you for stopping, I think you are the only commenter that got the reference to Jesus and the basket!

Carol

Ann said...

I absolutely love this story. The kindness you showed came at the most pivitol moment in both of your lives. To me that was not an accident you were in that place at that moment. What a beautiful memory you have. Have a wonderful day.
Ann

Lynn said...

I have this saved somewhere, and had forgotten about it. I always enjoy reading it, thanks for that Debbie, it has lifted my heart up today :)

Gerry said...

Debbie, first I would like to thank you for stopping by to visit my blog. And for your kind words and comments. I apologize for being so late to acknowledge and respond.

Now...this story just choked me up. I think we have all known this kid at time or another in our lives. My cousin hung herself at 15 because she was lost, alone, and didn't realize that 'it' would get better.

Thanks for sharing this.

MOLLYE said...

Oh Honey, You have touched me personally too in that I was reminded of all the times Jake was teased by being called "Big Head Little" and he smiled back and turned the other cheek too and later there was not a soul on the earth who came in contact with him who did not respect and admire him. I can only imagine in my worst nightmare how hurt he was the last time he was humiliated and just could not bear living through it. Thank you for sharing.

Terry said...

This was sent to me in an e-mail some time ago and it is one of those that stick with you a long time. Non of us know the battles both physical and emotionally one might be fighting, so sometimes just one kind word or jesture make such a difference! Thank you for sharing in my DT excitement today! I so appreciate that! Have a wonderful day!

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Debbie,
what a wonderful post - thak you so much for sharing! Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs to you,
Marie

La Doña Jenny said...

Thank you Debbie for sharing...have a great Sunday.

Jenny

seeker said...

Debbie, thank you for sharing. I will be linking to this post in my post later today. A few years ago, I saw an episode of "7th Heaven" where the father went to heaven, and all sorts of people came up to him and thanked him for the big difference he had made in their lives. Most were small gestures, words or deeds he barely remembered, but they had changed lives, saved lives. Thank you for the reminder -- we are all much more important to others than we know.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...