Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dyeing To Show You

                                     
I found this Flower Girl's dress at
my favorite store.
(Goodwill)


I brought it home and began the deconstruction.
It was loaded with lace appliques and
other useful Crazy Quilt items.
After everything was removed from the basic
dress, I tore it into strips and pieces.
Then I mixed up some Potassium Permanganate.
This is a chemical when mixed with Hot water
will dye fabric (especially Rayon) a beautiful
golden color.
Be careful while using Potassium Permanganate
and read the label precautions.
Only a small amount is used in a cup of Hot water
to dye the lace and fabrics.


In the photo below is a lace applique that was
left in the solution a little longer that the  rest.
I then proceeded to mix some fabric dye and play
with a little color.
I put the bead in the dye path as well.

I love these colors.

Perfect for Halloween.

A touch of pink to remember, it is
Breast Cancer Awareness Month,
get a mammogram!

Love to all,
Debbie




16 comments:

Theresa said...

Oh my goodness, Debbie... GORGEOUS and creative! Enjoy your day and if I decide to try this, I might need some tips from you:) HUGS!

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Debbie,
just love the results you had!! Beautiful colors and the lace is gorgeous.The dress was a great find. How much did you pay for the dress? Thanks for sharing!
Have a wonderful day.
Hugs,
Marie

Suzanne Thomsen Newsome said...

Oh, so clever and fun!!

Laurie said...

Beautiful! Where do you get potassium pernangamate?

Dorthe said...

Hi Debbei,
Just to see how many wonderfull things,came from such a dress, is amazing-and to get so many different colors,from one piece.....
I love them all, and that you colored the pearls, too- great.
Hugs,Dorthe

BLISS angels said...

love all the colours, I would think to go to good will but I think I might need a trip to see what I can find... I miss your emails. let me know how things are going? big hugs Wendy

mya said...

I have always been a little afraid to try dying fabric for fear of its colors running.
I guess you had no problen with this. It looks great.
Isn't the thrift store fun. One of my favorite places to nose around, and sometimes you really can find a treat. Once I found a plate to my everyday china, and it certainly was a fraction of the original price.

BubzRugz said...

What a great idea - I've never thought to look for wedding/bridesmaid dresses in the charity shops!! looks like lots of treasures there....
Hugz

Cathy K said...

Wow, Debbie, you got your money’s worth out of THAT dress, LOL. Potassium permanganate also dyes darker on cottons than rayons and doesn’t usually leave the wonderful sheen either. Anyway, beautiful results for ALL the colors! Hugs, Cathy

Lynn Richards said...

Goodness!! This is absolutely gorgeous. I would never in a million years think of doing this to a dress like that!! Can't wait to see what you do with it!!!
xo
lynn

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

Oh how lovely. This must have been fun to do!

Lynn said...

Lovely yummy shades Debbie, now you can use them in so many projects :) I havn't been to Goodwill in ages, you have me thinking now, I could be missing out on something good....

Riki Schumacher said...

So lovely Debbie, want to see the dress done! Hugs, Riki

Eileen Bergen said...

Oh my, what lovely bits and pieces, Debbie. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

I knew beads were sometimes dyed; but never realized you can DIY. Thanks for the tip.

DeeDee said...

wowsers lovely, lovely, lovely...I would never thought ot do this...great idea....

and now some great treasures

Gaby Bee said...

What a great idea! Like the results. The lace is absolutely stunning...great colors!
Love your ceativity!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...