Friday, October 22, 2010

A New Project

    
Oh, the people you meet!

Sometimes, you meet people you form
an instant friendships with.
Lately this has been the case.
I have new found friends that I crazy quilt with,
I also have a group of friends that I
wool stitch with,
Kim is a "birds of a feather" friend,
we seem to like a lot of the same things.
My latest project is wool stitching,
Elaine  has a blog that features quilting and
stitching among other things.
Occasionally, you may even see a
 chicken, on her blog.
Elaine decided to do a tutorial on a
I have seen these penny rugs and I love the
primitive look of them.
The best part is they are made of wool and
wool is a pure pleasure to stitch through.

When you are starting a new project
 the first step is,
visualizing it in your mind.
If  you can see it,
 you can create it.
I looked around for a nice shape for
my background.  I found this silver tray
and decided to make a mat for it.

I then planned my design.  I did not want anything
strictly for Halloween, but fall related.
Leaves seemed to be a good choice.
I cut my patterns from freezer paper and ironed them
to the felt. ( This is an easy way to accurately cut a
pattern.)  The freezer paper adheres well and can easily
be pulled off once the pattern has been cut.
The leaves are cut out and I am playing around with
the placement in this photo.  I did not like how
I had the red between the 2 orange pieces.
I swapped the red and olive green pieces.

 I stitched them down using 6 strands of
DMC  embroidery floss and a buttonhole stitch.
Pretty cute and I can switch out the mat for all 4 seasons!
Please visit all my friends blogs, I have included the
link to each one.

Love to all,
Debbie

20 comments:

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Debbie, that is such a great idea! I lean more toward a shabby traditional romantic look than primitive, but I think there are some great possibilities here. I can feel the wheels turning. Wish I had more time to play. Thanks for sharing your project. Connie

Dorthe said...

Debbie, I love how you used button hole stitches ,for the wonderfull leaves, it looks so great with the black thread .You surely have met many friends,in doing your artwork, it must be wonderfull,dear.
Hugs,Dorthe

DeeDee said...

Miss Debbie,,,,I tell you what girl...you need to move to live by me.

We need to craft together, I have a full cabinet full with wools that I am willing to share with you if you do this...and also all the other crafts we both like to do...is it a deal!!

I love your project and you did a fabulous job with it....hehehe! I really do wanna craft with you.....please


....please...

...please

it would be so very fun.

BubzRugz said...

Oh Debbie - I love the way you have shown us the process - and I love the finished item..... looks so lovely in that silver dish....
Hugz

soggybottomflats said...

great job girlfriend, now I feel like I should be make one of these little cuties myself, lol! Thanks so much for sharing, Elaine

Sew Loquacious Angela said...

Debbie,
What a great job. I really like the stitches you used to attach the leaves. I think it looks fantastic!
Angela

Jan Fursdon said...

Hi Debbie!
I love this! And it always amazes me just how much, and how FAST, good stitching always compliments a piece! Fabulous! And thanks for the tutorial on it! Love and Blessings! Jan

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

You make it sound so simple...but I know better:) It really turned out beautifully! I can picture some wonderful ideas for Christmas!

Theresa said...

Creative and beautiful! I love the leaves all stitched on the tray! Have a blessed day my friend! HUGS!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Lovely mat! I've always liked penny rugs/mats and yours is perfect for the tray. I just had a thought though - I wonder what the same method would look like only using ivories and pinks (more shabby chic look). Hmmmm.....

agypsyangel said...

You are so sweet and I am so glad we found each other :) I am almost finished with my mat, lets say it has a little whimsey to it, not a follow the rules regular penny wool mat :) Hope you have a great Sunday. Hugs, Kim

Lynn said...

Your little Fall mat is beautiful, I too love how the blanket stitch looks on the leaves :)

MOLLYE said...

It was fun visiting with you this morning. I find myself getting excited about your projects cause I can feel your excitement. Love, Mollye

Fun With This and That said...

Hi thank you for coming by.I love doing penny rugs I have been doing for a few years. I'm going to do a tray too. Will post some I have done.I do it on sweat shirts too.It is so fun Laura Q

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Debbie,
what a beautiful project!Love it.
Have a wonderful day.
Hugs,
Marie

Michelle Palmer said...

So very sweet! Such a great idea! Love it :)

mya said...

Beautiful tray, and frankly I would never have thought of making a mat for it. The leaves are a nice fall touch. Thank you for mentioning
the freezer paper - that's the first time that I have heard about the sticking qualities.

sjmcdowell said...

Hey Sweetie!!

I have been thinking about YOU and wondering how you are feeling?? I am keeping you in my prayers!!
How I love your beautiful fall leaf mat...I have never tried this sort of thing before but would love to have a go at it at some point in my life!! :)

Wishing you luck in my giveaway!!

Hugs and Big Smiles,

Susan

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Not only lovely but a great idea too. i have a penny mat in pinks and browns and love it.

(())

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Debbie:
I love your tray mat. What a fab idea! Hope you have a wonderful weekend, my friend.
xoxo
Donna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...