Monday, November 22, 2010

2 Fun Days

Do you ever want to do something and the more you think about doing it, the better it sounds? I was like that about visiting the fabric store, I told you about in my last post. I had built this place up in my mind, to a level that was really unrealistic. My friend Margaret and I, went on a road trip to visit this fantasy fabric store.  Needless to say, as with anything we remember and have exaggerated in our minds, it was less than I had imagined.   But, there were some redeeming factors, it was located in the downtown area
of Cincinnat,i where the architecture was rich with details.  I love to imagine what the area would have been like in it's heyday.
The  back wall of the fabric shop was covered with this mosaic.
                                   
There was a nice selection of fabric.
But it was small and as I said before, just not what I had built it up to be.
That is my friend Margaret, trying her best to find something she could not live without.

Margaret is like me, we LOVE fabric.  But from the Textile Trove, we emerged empty handed.
The Christmas ornament class was not anything we were interested in, so we hit the road to look for other diversions.
That was Saturday,
 Day 1 of 2 fun days!
Sunday brought another adventure with my DH.
We have a creek behind our cabin that has dried up, due to the extreme drought we are experiencing here in Kentucky.  The lowering of the water levels has uncovered some real treasures.
Old tree stumps that were so neat looking!
You can see how very dry it is here.
More neat pieces of wood.
When you are looking a these pieces of wood, you don't consider the fact  that your back is not what it once was.  Another thought that escapes consideration, is how in the world you are going to carry the wood out.   Even though the creek had dried up, the bottom was muddy.  No way to drive the truck back in there.  Well, 2 angels just happened to come our way.  Tessa and Tori were their names and the they rode in on a white horse (4 wheeler).  I called to them and asked would they please help us bring the wood out.  They were a great help and we could not have done it without them.  Thanks girls!  I told them I would be blogging about this and would put their pictures on here, I hope they see this.
While my DH was busy cutting wood, I took the opportunity to do a little glass hunting,  sea glass, mermaid tears what ever you call it.  I had a good friend Jennifer,  she loved sea glass.  Jennifer passed away earlier this year from breast cancer.  I always talk to Jennifer when I am looking for sea glass. 

Jennifer must have been walking there by my side,  look at this haul.  I even found a few pieces of broken china and a piece of metal I can use in my artwork. 
Wishing all of you a wonderful Thanksgiving!
I am thankful for each one of you.
Love to all,
Debbie 

16 comments:

agypsyangel said...

Those were huge tree trunks, what sweet girls to help you and the hubbie. Wow, lots of fun seaglass you found, cant wait to see what you find to make :) Too bad you and your friend couldnt find something you couldnt live without, how sad :( Hope you have a good day.
Hugs,
Kim

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

We are having a drought here too. Now you have me wanting to go down to the riverbank and see what I can find, LOL.

wishing you and yours a very blessed and happy Thanksgiving.

(())

Simply Debbie said...

DEBBIE,
I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED DRIFT WOOD AND DREAM OF WALKING A BEACH ONE DAY TO UNCOVER SHELLS AND SEA GLASS. I WOULD CERTAINLY SAY, JENNIFER WAS WALKING WITH YOU. I WILL TELL YOU A FUNNY STORY....ONE DAY MY DH AND MY 2 CHILDREN...VERY YOUNG THEN, WENT OUT ON THE ARKANSAS LAKE IN A LITTLE BOAT WITH A SMALL MOTOR. I WILL REMEMBER THIS DAY FOREVER AS IT WAS SO MUCH FUN...WE PULLED UP ON THIS LITTLE ISLAND AND HAD LUNCH. I CAN STILL SEE AMY AND RICHIE CHASING EACH OTHER AND LAUGHING. WE BEGAN TO EXPLORE AND I FOUND A BEAUTIFUL "BOULDER" I WANTED AND THE MOST GORGEOUS PIECE OF DRIFTWOOD...MY DH LOOKED AT THE BOULDER I HAD PERSONALLY ROLLED DOWN TO THE WATERS EDGE AND THEN HIS FACE SAW MY BEAUTIFUL DRIFTWOOD....NO WAY...YES WAY...THE BOAT WON'T HOLD THIS DRIFTWOOD.......WELL MOI WON...WE TIED THE DRIFTWOOD WITH A ROPE AND WE TOWED IT BEHIND US. IT LOOKED LIKE WE WERE PULLING A BABY WHALE.IT SEEMED LIKE WE WENT 20 MILES ACROSS THE VAST LAKE BEFORE WE FINALLY REACHED SHORE. IT RODE WITH US ALL THE WAY BACK TO OKLA. WHERE IT TOOK CENTER STAGE OF MY FRONT FLOWERBED AND I PLANTED HENS AND CHICKENS ALL OVER IT. 9 YEARS LATER IT FINALLY FELL A PART BUT IT JUST BLENDED IN WITH THE WOOD CHIPS. WE HAVE MOVED 7 TIMES AND I HAUL MY BOULDER ROCKS WITH ME.
THANK GOODNESS, OUR PRECIOUS LORD SENT YOU TWO BEAUTIFUL, BUT STRONG ANGELS TO HELP.
I HOPE YOUR TX WILL NOT MAKE YOU SICK...I WILL PRAY YOU HAVE NO NAUSEA AND THAT HEALING IS YOURS.
YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO US ALL
GOD BLESS YOU
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
HUGS
SIMPLY DEBBIE

Pat Winter said...

Loved seeing your sea glass finds. I walked the shores today with mom and had a wonderful time. It is so true that the best things in life are free.
Smiles,
Pat

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You obviously had a lovely weekend, with lots of treasures to prove it. Obviously your gift wasn't to find fabric, but to spend time with your friend, which is a blessing.

Whimsey Creations said...

I remember downtown Cincinnati from when I was a child. I grew up in the suburbs a waaaay long time ago. But my grandmother used to take me downtown to a bakery there and I'd either get a salted breadstick or a cookie with wonderful frosting. The buildings looked so giant back then. We moved to Florida when I was seven but when I went to college in Columbus, going through Cincinnati on the way - those buildings weren't quite as big and tall as I'd remember them LOL Haven't been back up that way in years though. Sorry your trip to the fabric store wasn't what you expected but look at the treasures you found the next day! Hugs!

Whytefeather said...

What lovely sea glass you found. I wish there was some where around us that I could go find some too :) maybe some day I'll find a beach to gather some on.

I love driftwood... my Mom had brought a few home, these huge pieces from camping up in South Dakota when we lived up there. She always kept them in her rock garden. One of these days I'll find some too to go with my rock garden.

Keeping you in my thoughts and sending warm hugs!

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

Oh, I do think an angel helped you find all that seaglass! I dream of finding some on a Florida visit one of these times.

Lynn Stevens said...

Oh I'm sorry to hear the fabric store wasn't the fantasy you hoped for, isn't it funny that in your own backyard you found the real treasures!!! I'm sure you will create some gorgeous pieces and honor your friend at the same time. What a couple of sweet angels you found along the way!

Dorthe said...

Hi my dear,
nothing like angels to appear ,when needed- how sweet of those two...
and so sorry Debbie, that it was only in your mind that shop was gorgeus, I have been dissapointet very much ,in such things, too....
well we had the pleasure of dreaming!!!
I so love sea glass, too- and collects here ,-how lovely for you to collect "with your friend" she will be happy to see the results you make from those beauties.
Love and hugs,Dorthe

Theresa said...

Angels all around! The two sweeties helping with the wood and Jennifer helping you find all of that gorgeous glass! Have a blessed day dear Debbie! HUGS!

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Debbie, the fabric store may not have been all you had remembered, but I bet you have fun spending time with your friend. Take care, Connie

MOLLYE said...

Oh I can feel the fun you and Margaret had and what beauties the sea glass was. Hugs, Mollye

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Debbie,
sorry to hear that the store wasn't at all what you hoped for - but look at all the other treasures you found. I'm sure your friend Jennifer was with you and you got to spend time with Margaret. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Hugs,
Marie

Dezinaworld said...

Ohhh Thank you so much Debbie, for taking us on a treasure hunt with you.I always love your posts but this one was fabulously fun and special,i love your sea glass finds especially. Thanks for sharing and hope you are well
hugs June

Mya said...

At least Cincinnati offered some interesting things.
Those two girls just happened to be there when you needed them - what luck.
I have a few pieces of sea glass, only a few. I did not find them but my daughter did, and gave them to me because she knows that I like that sort of thing.
I guess we should be wishing you rain, but in the meantime you are finding little treasures.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...