Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Cuff Bracelet Tutorial

After posting my cuff bracelets, I had some emails
with questions on the construction process.

I started out with a piece of felted wool.
(Felted Wool is wool that has been washed in
hot water and dried in the dryer.  This process
creates a piece of wool that is like felt, the more
you  wash and dry the wool the less fraying you
will have.)
I then used some fabric dye to give it some color.
Note there is some fraying on the edges.  I have a
front loading washer and those washers take forever
to felt wool.  You need lots of agitation to create
dense felt.  (Now I have some things that agitate
me, but I am not wool so that won't work.)
The next step is to press the felted wool and cut
your cuff to the desired shape.  Since the fibers are
intertwined you can cut most any shape and have it
be  stable.
I hooped the fabric to apply the vintage image I wanted
for  a focal point.
 
I then got to do something fun!  Look through my
stash for images and embellishments.  Buttons, beads,
torn strips of fabric and ribbons.  The ribbon on the
right with the blue tag, as well as the image came
from Pat Winters.  Pat does beautiful work and has
an assortment of lovely images for sale. 

The next steps were adding all the goodies.   I began
with my focal point and added whatever looked good next.
Along with a heavy duty snap or button for a
closure.
My  completed cuff.

Love to all,
Debbie

15 comments:

Dorthe said...

Hi sweet Debbie,
You makes it look so eaysy to create your beautifull cuff,-but I can see,it takes lots of tine, with all the handstitching,-a wonderfull piece of art work.
Thank`s for the tutorial, dear.
Hugs, Dorthe

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hello Debbie,
oooh, your cuff is stunning.Love it!
TFS and the tutorial. Hope all is well.
Hugs,
Marie

Theresa said...

Gorgeous! I am going to give this a try for perhaps a gift:) Thanks for sharing the "how-to"!

HUGS!

Lynn said...

Thank you Debbie for the tutorial, your cuff is beautiful :)

Jillayne said...

This is beautiful debbie - thanks for sharing! I love these cuff bracelets and want to try one - I am thinking that Texture Magic stuff could make an interesting base to work on? Thanks for the tips!

Lynn Richards said...

Oh, Debbie- This is gorgeous!!! Sigh. another thing to add to my list to try!!!!! It's like a collage on wool in a small form! Love it-
xo
lynn

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Thanks for the tutorial Debbie. One of these days... And I'll be sure to post the finished product~lol! Connie

mya said...

Thank you for taking the time to post the instructions. So that is what felted wool is - never would have guessed it.
Your finished pieces are always so pretty.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great tute Debbie - thank you! It's another one of those things that are on my never-ending to-do list (probably by the time I get around to making one, cuffs will no longer be 'in'...or...they'll be enjoying a second resurgence!!).

Pam Kellogg said...

This is just gorgeous Debbie! So glad to see you stitching!

Cathy K said...

Your cuff is so beautiful and do-able! Thanks for the tutorial; I see a few of those in my future for gifts. And I know what you mean about front-loaders. What a pain in the rear when it comes to felting.... Hugs, Cat

agypsyangel said...

I just saw this on your side bar, where was I ? asleep? I love the tutorial, very informative, it turned out great. You make it look so easy. Hugs, Kim

Michelle Palmer said...

Love your post~ love your pretty!
Hope your day is perfect~
Michelle

Pallas said...

Your cuff turned out so pretty, and the tutorial was great.

ByLightOfMoon said...

This is really beautiful!

Smiles, Cyndi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...