Friday, June 10, 2011

Everything Old is New Again

It is wonderful to have a
Mother and Grandmothers
 that share your interests.
I grew up surrounded
by women that loved to sew.
My mother's mother,
Gramma,
never met a
sewing machine she
didn't like.
Before she moved in with
my mother, she passed on
some things to me.
One of those treasures
was this Hamilton Beach
"Trustworthy"
Sewing Machine.




The machine still had a cord,
but I was afraid to plug it in.
It also had that great wood base.
I took it home, to be greeted
with, "What are you gonna do
with that?"
I really was not sure, but I didn't
let on.  Always act as though
there is a great purpose for
everything you drag in.
Or hide it, before it can be seen!
I removed the piece that controls
the pressure foot
and added a simple
lamp fixture.
I was lucky it was a perfect fit.
I added a linen shade I covered with
white and pearl buttons. 
 It makes a great chair side light
for my sewing room!
Thanks Gramma,
for being a hoarder,
 before we knew
what that was.
 Hey, at least I got it, honest.

Love to all,
Deb


14 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh my gosh...love the sewing machine pics. Wonder if in 100 years someone will be bloggin about my machine???

Probably not. They don't make 'em like they use to!

xoRebecca

Kim B said...

Oh very neat! I love those old sewing machines. I have a very old working Home Companion. I will have to post it sometime. I hope you are staying cool and having fun. Hugs, Kim

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Perfect! What a sweet addition to your sewing room. Take care, Connie

Fun With This and That said...

That is great I have one I may copy and do it. Laura

Melissa @ Love Affair With My Brother said...

What a beautiful machine! Great way to repurpose it!

BubzRugz said...

Deb what a fantastic idea... I love it... just perfect....
Hugz
Fiona

ShirleyC said...

Now isn't that the neatest thing! You will always have a memory of your granny next to you while you sew.

Dorthe said...

Sweet Deb- that sounded like my husbond: "what are you gonna do with that",
I know some hiding places here :)
I love your gramma`s maschine, and you made it a wonderful piece to be used every day, near you. Love it, Deb.
Hugs,Dorthe

Theresa said...

Genius repurpose! I love it and the memories that you have when you look at it... perfect!

Have a blessed day my friend, HUGS!

Jillayne said...

What an absolutely fabulous idea! You are so clever to have thought of that - very inventive.
Hanging on to old things isn't always a bad idea is it??!

kim aka imagesbykim said...

Hi,
I dont actually know how I ended up here today, just following links from other blogs as I hopped around and here I am.
And I have spent about a half hour reading backwards in your blog and enjoying it all. That lamp is gorgeous! Anyway I have had a great time here today!
And have added your to my blogroll.
Have a very creative week!
(((hugs)))
kim aka imagesbykim

Queen of Tides said...

I love what you did here! So cool and absolutely charming.

vicki said...

Deb - that's a special story - you enjoy that machine - it will bring you much wonderful creating! Love the pictures - they are awesome!!

Vicki

Sunni @Love Affair with my Brother said...

Oh!! Adorable! The lampshade with the buttons is such a perfect touch!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...