Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Harris Chapel Cemetery

During our recent trip to Alabama
we witnessed some of the storm
damage to the Jackson Co. area.
The storm was an EF 4 Tornado on
April 27, 2011.

The following photos were taken in
the Harris Chapel Cemetery.
Most of the gravestones were undamaged.


The inscription reads:
Remember me as you pass by,
As you are now, so once was I.
As I am now, so you must be,
Prepare for death and follow me.

 Trees were snapped off and uprooted.
It was reported one of the grave sites
had been disturbed.
The  damage was repaired and
the land smoothed.
The flagpole stands as well as
one large tree.
    Very little of the flag left. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  
 When we heard that a grave site had been
disturbed, out first thought was of this
particular grave.
Many a ghost story has been told involving
this man.  I am happy to report his
"resting place" was undisturbed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The following is an excerpt from:

LOCATED ON CO. RD. 91 OFF OF 117. THE CEMETERY IS LOCATED ON THE LEFT,
ACROSS THE ROAD FROM THE HARRIS CHAPEL CHURCH BLDG.

THERE IS A MEMORIAL IN THE CEMETERY THAT SAYS EST. CIR. 1847.

HERE LIE THE REMAINS OF 16 UNKNOWN CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS, WHO WERE KILLED IN
BATTLE WITH UNKNOWN TROOPS FEBRUARY 3-4, 1865 AT THE BALIS LADD FARM 2.50
MILES SOUTH, UNION TROOPS WERE DISPATCHED FROM BRIDGEPORT TO SEIZE CONTROL
OF MOORES SPRING, AFTER ENSUEING BATTLE. 16 CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS DIED OF
WOUNDS INFLICTED BY THE NORTHERN TROOPS.  THEIR BODIES WERE LAID TO REST BY
CITIZENS OF HOG JAW VALLEY.
Harris Chapel

was once located directly across from
the cemetery. 
I am sorry to report was
destroyed by the tornado.

Love to all,
Deb


6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm always heartbroken when I hear of a grave-site being disturbed...

Blessings to you my friend...I simply love the picture of the Chapel.

xoRebecca

BubzRugz said...

such history... it's very sad to see the damage.... amazing that anything stays in place though...
Hugz

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm so glad that the cemetery survived virtually unscathed.

ramsam said...

Love the poem on that headstone! Great photos.

Theresa said...

So much devastation there, and yet some things were untouched! Thanks for sharing your journey with me! HUGS!

vicki said...

Deb - I am crazy about old cemetaries - I could have spent the day here! I am so glad that it was fine for your visit~~

Vicki

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...