Sunday, November 6, 2011

They Got It!

I often find the beauty in
things cast off by others.
Even my friends will jokingly
say, "Give it to Debbie, she
will make something with it."
There are even friends that
call me a hoarder.  They don't
see the potential in things I
choose to save.


Yesterday and next weekend
I will be selling some of the things
I have created from what others
may call trash.

When you choose to sell things
that are a bit off the "beaten path",
you are never quite certain how
they will be received.
You put your time, energy and
yes, even your heart into it.....
and put it out there for others
to judge.

Sometimes, people will walk
by my booth  and hardly notice. 
 Other times, someone  will pause
and comment how unique an
item is.  Then there are those
times when someone,
 really gets it!

I try to sit back and work on
some stitching, while in my
booth space. This allows the
potential customer time to
see what I have to offer and
think about who they could
buy it for, if not for themselves.

Occasionally, you can tell they
are studying things, so they
can go home and create
something themselves.
That is fine and if they ask me
questions, I truthfully answer
how I made it and where I
purchased any supplies needed.
I have always felt that we owe it
to each other to share our
knowledge,  after all that is how
we all learn. 

Then there are times when you
see people quietly looking and
picking up items with an
appreciation for them.
This happened yesterday.
I noticed them whispering to each
other.  They lingered and I wondered
if they would soon ask, how to make
the item.  They did ask a question...

"Is this your artwork?"

Artwork..."Yes, I made everything
you see."

"Could you please..."
Okay, here comes the construction
question.
"....tell us your thoughts when you
were creating this piece?"

My thoughts?  You want to know
why I made something.... not how.

"Yes, I found the snakeskin in my
backyard.  I had the perfect bottle
to put it in.  As I decorated the
bottle with solder and glass, I
thought of the classic Good vs. Evil.
How a snake often represents sin/
evil and how the Cross is a symbol
of  conquering that  sin/evil. 
To me that was what this piece
wanted to be."

"That is exactly what we wanted
to hear!"  "We love your artwork!"

(There was that artwork word again.)
"Thank you, it is so nice to have
someone that, really gets it." 

After they purchased a few things
and walked away, I thought how
good it felt to have someone
understand.
This was not just an old bottle
rescued from the trash.  Not just
a creepy snakeskin.  "Why would
you pick THAT up?"
To them it was "artwork"!

I felt like the Grinch at Christmas,
my heart filled with so much joy,
I thought it would explode!

So, if you are like me and maybe
have a few too many things, you are
going to use... someday.  Things that
others wonder why you keep. 
Things maybe rescued from the trash.

Because, when the day comes, that
someone looks you in the eye and
you see appreciation and approval
staring back at you.  That day is
....priceless!

Love to all,
Deb




35 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful story today, Deb. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your clients, your "art" and you thought process. You're such an inspiration.
    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this post. I often sit as you do and listen to comments and watch faces. You see and hear all sorts, it is so revealing.
    By the way I really 'get' your fabulous artwork!!!
    Smiles, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post - I love this! I can feel your excitement through your words and how gratifying it must have been.
    It's true for me as well that the most asked question is "How?", not "Why". I'm going to remember this the next time I am at a show and stop at someone's booth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a wonderful feeling when someone else understands and appreciates what you see in and feel about your creations. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie this is one of the best posts I have ever read from you. I do indeed get your work and how wonderful you can put it into words.
    I am working on my button ornaments and just loving it. I will probably continue them with your words in mind. Blessings to you
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Deb! What a great post! It made me look at things usually thrown away or thought useless in a different way. I love your creativity, and yes, it is art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Deb, it was such a good feeling to read your story! I can only imagine how wonderful it must have felt to live it! Priceless, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful you have shared your true story of how good it felt to have others appreciate your artwork! I still believe my Grandma had the best idea as she worked so hard creating so much. Instead of garnering all the "I can make that" info from an artist...she would buy one of their pieces and then go home and tweak it to make her own versions. That way everyone was happy. I still try to honor that philosophy. Your artwork is wonderful and bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You certainly have a very creative eye for details. I sure couldn't pass your booth without looking and wondering.
    Loved the post! Good luck to your sales too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed seeing your work.

    As you spoke about visitors to your booth, I remembered the same comments from those that visited mine, long ago when I had a booth.

    I remembered thinking some of those same thoughts.

    I LOVED reading your thoughts as you created the peace. And I was thinking...your pieces are so unique, you should consider a story tag with each one. I am sure visitors and potential customers would love to read the story of your pieces.

    Wonderful post.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post... you know Ihave often looked at your things and thought of art .... all the best with your sales... it is all beautiful
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so happy for you that you got to have THAT moment, sitting here smiling at your wonderful story! Your artwork is always a wonder and makes me look at things a different way.

    I'm a bit of a magpie at heart too, the hubby even will pick things up now and bring them to me saying "thought maybe you could use this for something some time" :)
    Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deb'
    I hope your heart stays full of Joy.. because so many love your art work that you will never know.. I treasure my friendship as much as I treasure the little pieces of your art work in my collection.. I am so glad you got this from them and such a great story for a artistian to tell... please continue to share your artwork with us.. you inspire so many to try new things...

    hugs my friend
    DeeDee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well said Ms. Deb.!! You are very creative and have a gift for turning odd things into something wonderful! I'll be stopping by your booth on Sunday! See ya then!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Deb, I know I haven't been by for a while, but I'm so glad I came by today!! Your items you have made are aMAZing!!! So happy to hear of all you are doing.
    xoxo
    lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post Deb. I love the good over evil piece and I agree story tags would be a great idea. Customers love thoughts involved in a piece whether they ask or not. I don't do shows often, but I do know exactly what you mean about rude people saying in front of you that they could do that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Deb,
    great post and I love to see your artwork! More please.Love the picture frame with your soldered pendants.
    Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post. When that happens it feels really good doesn't it. Love your rabbit jar. It's magical!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank-you for the enjoyable read!

    (((hugs)))

    kim

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've given me so much food for thought. As someone who goes to shows and views other people's art and as someone who creates art myself. I agree that the stories behind the art make them more compelling. Maybe you could name each one or groups of them? I like the tag idea. Good luck Deb. I hope you connect with many kindred spirits and you have a successful show!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! i love them all! the one with the cross is my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Deb-
    Oh how I recocnice those thoughts,-and questions from costumers...and that real interest and appreciation from the very little handful of people whom fully understand and love what we do.
    It is the same here---
    I love your soldered pendant necklaces- they are beautiful- and so are your bottles and glass boxes.
    All beautiful art work.
    Hugs and love,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats Debbie- I think that is such a compliment to your artistry to have someone want to know your thoughts as you made it-- your photos here are simply stunning- I think you have made the most unique creations from " found" objects. I wish you great success with your sales- I think you are going to be a hit (!) with your customers!!

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post Deb! I totally get it! Your artwork is awesome!

    PS. Guess who won my giveaway?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! I rarely get questions of how something is made... maybe because I'm so eager to volunteer what was used and how... The question I usually get is... How can you part with (my mom's or grandmother's jewelry pieces used to make something else)? My answer is I would rather make it into something to share with someone else who will cherish it too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your work is definitely art! How wonderful to be asked the 'why' of a piece - I've never thought of doing that, but I will from now on! btw - I love the beautiful blue & white piece with the butterfly on top. I'd love to know the 'why' of it??

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awww, I think I will cry. I havent forgot you, just having been visiting blogs lately. Is that one for sale?? Email me...Thats just beautiful and the story too. Hugs, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  28. If it comes from your heart~ it's truly art! Thank you for sharing your sweet moments with us... and for permission to keep SO MANY things! :) It's not just stuff... every little treasure has potential!
    Hooray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. THANKS FOR SHARING THIS PART OF YOUR CREATIVE JOURNEY! I DO ESPECIALLY LOVE THE THOUGHT PROCESS BEHIND THE LAST WORK OF ART ( THE SNAKESKIN/ CROSS BOTTLE) IT HAS A POWERFUL MESSAGE! THANKS FOR STOPPING BY TO SAY HI, cHRISTIE

    ReplyDelete
  30. It certainly speaks to me. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anything I may add will be redundant--everyone's already said it! But the pendants and bottles are marvelous and the story is even better.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  32. Bunny bottle!!! Bunny bottle!!! Is it still available???? Oh my gosh! I looooooooooove it! I want it!!!
    Great post Deb.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...