Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Rock Your Valentine

 A bit of vintage linen
and a rock,
became a daily reminder
of my love.

I found this small doily,
(it could have been a coaster)
in a box lot, I purchased
 at a local auction.

After the doily was laundered
and pressed.
I took a simple
I Love You
stamp
 and using
Staz On Ink
I stamped my
message of love.
I used an
embroidery floss,
that closely matched
the ink, to Back Stitch
out the message.

I had a smooth rock that
was close in size
to the embroidered doily.
Using the same thread
that I embroidered with,
I crocheted a simple mesh
pattern to attach the
embroidered piece around
the rock.
A crocheted chain attached
to the points of the doily
began the mesh.
Continuing on around each row,
 I increased the number stitches
until the piece was large enough
to surround the rock.
Then I began decreasing the stitches
to enclose the rock completely.

If embroidery is not your thing,
a simple crocheted heart motif
is perfect for the front!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I found, I liked using
 a stamped image
 as an embroidery pattern.
So, I looked through my
stash of stamps and
found these Anna Griffin
Antique Alphabet Stamps.
Using the decorative corner
of a vintage napkin, I stamped
my initial.
I used  Chalks Ink to
stamp with,
 it was the lightest
ink I had on hand.
The stamped image was
so light, I stamped a
duplicate on paper
using a darker ink.
This became a
backup pattern
in case I lost my way
while I was stitching.
I used a Back Stitch
with accents of French Knots
to complete the monogram.

After the monogram was complete,
I washed the ink away with a
mild detergent and water.
This corner will be incorporated
into my whitework cloth.



Love to all,
Deb









22 comments:

  1. Beautiful AND clever! Love it all, Deb.
    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, this is gorgeous! I just love the monogram. And you are so creative with the crocheting and embroidery for Valentine's Day. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever indeed! You always come up with the neatest stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Deb! Love those Anna Griffin stamps. I have some too! Will dig them out.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Idea and infinite possibilities with so many stamps. Would a watermark stamp pad work? Love your whitework! Blissful Inspirations...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a really great idea! I always collect stones, wherever I go, there's at least one in my purse right now, and this is such a lovely way to display them.
    I love the initial you've stitched, those stamps are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah-ha so that is how you did it Deb--always thinking eh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very delicate and beautiful work Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so creative and inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the "D" on the linen, it looks so beautiful, just as if it was always there!

    hugs,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  11. So lovely, and so beautiful, dear Deb- what a great idea with the monogram, and those stamps are so pretty- your whitework will be even more beautiful.
    xoxo,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is absolutely lovely and a wonderful idea,dear Deb.TFS.
    Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Using stones in needlework. Great idea!
    The advantage is you don't have to frame them, you can just lay them down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That idea ROCKS:) hehe Now aren't you just the smartest thing to think of that idea! Thanks for sharing it with me! Have a blessed week, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can envision a whole bowl filled with decorated rocks...fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what an awesome post...I told you how much Im loved your rocks...and to see how you did them is priceless to me...thanks so much Deb for always sharing your beautiful style with us...

    hugs....soon I will be trying to make me a rock like yours... love them...

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a brilliant idea Deb! I love it and it will be so beautiful in your piece. Clever, clever...

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so creative-- I'm always so amazed at everything that you create. You really have a great gift for design and creativity--
    Xo
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a clever idea Deb! Simple and sweet...thanks for sharing how you did it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...