Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sharing

In my opinion, sharing our knowledge
with each other is just.
 one of those things,
 we should do.
When we share, it is our way of wanting
something better
 for those around us.
Something as simple as a recipe,
may help a new cook create a better dinner.
Share an extra coat and you help keep
someone warm.
This past weekend I had the opportunity
to see Leigh Ann Tuohy speak.  She is
the Mom, in the book/movie,
 "The Blind Side".
Her message was a bit like her,
Loud and Clear, help those that
society deems worthless and
see what happens.
She went a bit beyond giving
someone an extra coat or
sharing a recipe.  She shared
her home, her wealth and
her heart. 
Her message brought me to
 tears several times
 and  caused a
little soul searching. 
 Something
that is good for all of us.

When my girls where in grade
school, I spent a great deal of
time volunteering in their schools.
I have sat on the floor in a
quiet hallway reading with a child.
A child that would scoot as close to
my side as they could while we read,
"Me Too! Said, The Chick"
(The Chick and the Duckling).
 A child that had no one at home
 to read with them. 
 A child that probably bore the
responsibility of trying to translate
for his parents.
I have also sat side by side in a classroom
with a young man that had "fallen
through the cracks".  A young man
that needed to be moved on
 to middle school in one way or another.
 I will call him " B".
As B and I worked together, he would
occasionally want to try me.  He would
refuse to do his work and tell me to do it!
One day during a math test,
 a request came for B to come to the front office. 
 I quietly questioned the teacher,
 what the office wanted
 and could it not wait until after his test.
She was not sure,
so I went to the office.
 I was told,
 there was a truck that needed unloading
 and they needed B's help.
I blew up and informed them
 he was taking a test
 and
would not be coming to unload the truck.
After, that incident,
 B tried his best to do his own work. 
He moved on to middle school and
graduated high school, a few years ago.
I would see him occasionally,
 after our 5th grade year,
at football games, at the mall
 wherever it was,
 he always had a huge smile
 and a
big bear hug for me.

Yes, Leigh Anne was right, give and you will
be blessed beyond measure.
 "To those whom much is given, much is
required."


PS.  The young man that I read,
"Me Too! Said The Chick" with,
 is
in the ROTC program at school.

I must conclude this post saying,
 I was not alone
in encouraging these young men.
  As there were many good teachers
with daily guidance and love,
 helped them along the way. 
There are positive role models
 that are  involved in their lives,
today
 wanting the best for them.




 Love to all,
Deb

11 comments:

20somethingfierce.com said...

Very good lesson to learn, and even better to have already seen good things come of practicing it!

Just the Two of US said...

Well said. I bet she was great!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You will never guess what we watched last night....yep...'The Blind Side'!! How weird is that?? Fantastic movie (even though I'm not a fan of football). It would have been great to hear the real Leigh Ann Tuohy speak.

ShirleyC said...

I imagine that was a very interesting evening. I love "The Blind Side". If only all kids like that could be "fixable".
I can relate to the deal with the office calling. I've had that happen with them taking all of the boys to move desks or unload a truck. It would just infuriate me!

Judy said...

Lovely post Deb.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Words to live by Deb. Great post.
Connie

Theresa said...

Yes, there are soooo many that could use a kind word or a little encouragement! Thanks for sharing this inspiration with me! HUGS!

Nicola said...

I really enjoyed reading this post xxx

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

It only takes a little to give of yourself, even in a small way. My husband is the maint. mgr. in a local apartment complex. There are so many children there living with single moms. Those children gravitate to him. His hair is grey and he has a grey beard and a happy smile for everyone and he loves children. They call him Papa and go out of their way to speak to him and sometimes follow him around the property. Its sad, yet happy because he makes them all feel special. The world definitely needs more love.

Jillayne said...

I love this post. I just saw that movie and she is truly a remarkable person.
Making a difference for someone, or being part of making a difference is a great gift, for ourselves as well as the person we are helping. What a wonderful message!

lambs and ivy designs said...

Now, that is an inspiring post!!
Thank you for helping those little boys and for your righteous anger for "B" and for reminding me to be involved.

Hugs,
Dana

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...