Tuesday, April 17, 2012

"Creative Fabric Techniques" Book Review

I recently won an ebook Kerry was
giving away. 
Kerry is a crazy quilter and has a feature
on her blog called " Build A Seam".  She
takes a stitch, adds embellishments and creates
a seam treatment.  I have learned quite a
bit from this, as I will often struggle with I
have a stitch...."Now, What?".

  I know you should not judge a book by it's cover,
but with all this stitching it is hard to ignore.
As the title states this is a book for quilters,
embroiderers and textile artists.  Really it
is a book for anyone that uses fabric in their
artwork.
The book comes as a CD ebook and is filled
with inspiration and encouragement.  Annette
takes repurposing/reusing to a new level, as
she creates her fabrics.
In the chapter "Found Fabrics", I found
great inspiration where Annette  used
button bands and plackets to create fabric.
I will often use buttons as embellishments,
but I never thought of using the entire button
band.
"Trash Quilts" will have you looking at
those ragged quilts destined for the trash in
a new way.  As a matter of fact, there may be
quite a few items you will not be throwing
away once you see how Annette incorporates
them into her fabrics.
Have you ever burned fabrics?  Annette does
and she will show you how to use your soldering
iron and heat gun to create burned out areas
of interest in the fabric that could not
 be done with a needle and thread.
I love the tip she has for a soldering iron holder!
We all have fabrics that make us wonder, why we
ever bought them.  Annette will show you layering
techniques that use those fabrics along with any scraps
you may have.
As I mentioned before this is an ebook on CD.  I have
always enjoyed having a book in print.  I like to hold a
book in my hands while I dream of the projects on the pages.
As this is a CD, the ebook comes as a PDF document.  This
format enables you to print out any of the pages as often as
you want.  Since I will almost always make a copy of a project
from my books, to save wear and tear while I am working on them.
The CD ebook version is the better way to buy books.  No trees
are cut down and they take up much less storage space!

Love to all,
Deb

A sample of the book can be found here:

7 comments:

  1. Hello Deb. Lucky you. It sounds like a very interesting book. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Deb, that sounds to be a very wonderful book- I alwayes have also loved holding books in my hands- but maybe I should try this other kind of books, now :-)
    Hugs,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose to save the forests we should go to e-readers........even if we print some pages, we are still saving some trees.......
    sounds like a lot of interesting ideas in your new book. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun experimenting, and I hope we'll have lots of fun vicariously as you post all about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too complicated for me but sure looks interesting:) Enjoy your evening dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks like it should be in every stitcher's library. Thank you for the review. Creative Stitching...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think i may have to consider adding this one to my 'arsenal' of technique books. i've looked at the sample and after reading what you have to say i'm finding it all very interesting . . . in the meantime, i've added her blog (which also looks excellent) to my sidebar.

    thanks for the share.
    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb, I'm Vivienne Wells from Rainbow Disks. Delighted with the super review. Thanks. I know Annette will love it. Best wishes! Vivienne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to visit and leave a comment. All comments are moderated, so they will not appear immediately.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...