Thursday, July 12, 2012

It's Now A Felting Machine

I love the look of hand felted items,
but my hands suffer when I try to
needle felt.  Yes, there are felting
machines, but have you seen the
price!  I would have to do a lot
of felting to justify the cost of
one of those machines. 
I had an idea to turn a sewing
machine into a felting machine.
I did not want to experiment with
my nice sewing machine so I
decided to use my daughter's

beginning sewing machine.  I
would not need any fancy stitches
a simple straight stitch machine,
would work.
I removed the needle from the machine
and cut a felting needle to the same length.

I used heavy duty wire cutters for this
task, even though felting needles break
in use, cutting them is not easy.
Insert the felting needle in place of the
sewing needle.  I removed the bobbin from
the machine and began to needle felt.
It worked! 

The cost was that of a felting needle...the
child's sewing machine and wire cutters
were already here.  If you don't have an
inexpensive sewing machine to devote to
needle felting visit some garage sales,
you may find some other good things
there as well.
Love to all,
Deb

20 comments:

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

What a brilliant idea,Deb. I have one of those sewing machine flying around:)TFS.Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Marie

Brynwood Needleworks said...

I agree with Marie...BRILLIANT! I can't wait to see what you create with it.
xoxo
Donna

pchickki said...

My friend has one of these and she is crazy with it !! Neat idea for crafting and all sorts of stuff. Habit forming too so I am told.

DeeDee said...

Well Deb... you have made my day..I now have a use for this other machine that sits around my house doing nothing.... What a great idea... and I love to felt too... thanks BFF..

Dianne said...

Great idea! I've never tried felting beause my hands hurt enough already! Now maybe I'll try it!

Whimsey Creations said...

Wow I never would have thought of that - great idea!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

This is absolutely beyond brilliant! Sure saves the 100's of dollars investment in the felting machine.

Lady Locust said...

I love it! Just got another old singer at a yard sale - free. I have a bit of a collection. They find me. I love how this works - you are a genius! I am working on an all wool crazy quilt (check out my blog:) - this might be fun. Watch out, crazy quilt and wool felting - heeheehee
Love your posts.

ShirleyC said...

You are so smart! I'll be looking for more incredible projects in the future!

Carissa said...

What a great idea!! You're so smart!

Dorthe said...

Thankyou Deb, for giving this wonderful idea, on to us... it was a fantastic idea, I surely would never buy a felting maschine, as I also would not make enough use of it, for all those money spend!
Hugs from Dorthe

Monica said...

WOW! So, so clever!!
Nice of you, Deb, to leave a note on my blog. I will be sure to visit again to see your studio.
Have fun with my tutorials,
Monica.

Marjolein said...

Great idea, clever girl!

luvbnmom said...

What a smart cookie! Now you have the machine you wanted and you can say (to some extent) that you made it!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Deb. Now I didn't need to learn anymore new techniques, but you make this look so easy and I can see lots of possibilities. Great explanation, too.
best, nadia

Susan said...

Thanks for in inspiration..you sure made it look easy. Thanks for visiting my blog. Susan

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Wow - that's so cool that you made yourself your own felting machine!! What a smart cookie you are :)

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Very clever Deb! I still haven't tried needle felting. This looks like a great way to keep from getting jabbed with a needle (once you get it in the machine anyway).

PyxeeStyx said...

Brilliant! I knew there was a reason I saved the old machines when I got a new one. Thank you :)

camomilla said...

What a great idea!
I will try this soon...

Thank you,
Helga

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...