Sunday, October 27, 2013

Wee Care #3 With A Little Something To Hold Onto

This time I had a little boy in mind.  I was thinking the gown should be a bit simpler, without the addition of lace.  Then I saw Prince George's Christening gown!!! My goodness what an incredible work of art with more lace than most wedding gowns.
So, next time I make a boy's gown, I may just have to add lace.  Especially since Susan and Marie have both been so kind to send me lace for these gowns.  While I was emailing with Marie, I told her I wanted to create a small heart to enclose with these gowns.  Something the mother could keep and hold onto.  A heart that would hold the memory of one so dear.  Marie suggested a wool heart, that was  the perfect material with which to create a small keepsake.
A small woolen heart with just a touch of embroidery to match the gown created for their child. 

A heart...the symbol of love.
Vicki suggested that I also include a small card with my name and address.  She explained often the mother wants to send a note of thanks to person that has stitched the gown.  My first thought was, no thanks are needed.....but then I gave it more thought.  There is very little that can be said to a mother that has just lost her child.  There a no words that can ease her broken heart.  But, maybe allowing her to write about her loss was a way to give comfort, a way to express her grief.  So a small card stating that the gown has been stitched with love is also enclosed.
This gown also has a ribbon threaded through a casing in the hem, allowing the gown to be gathered closed at the bottom.
With each gown I can see my stitching improve.  Speaking of that I have been reading every book I can find on smocking and heirloom sewing.  I have, after 50 years of sewing, become obsessed with stitch balance and length, changing needles, using the correct size needle, pressing seams, prewashing fabric...let's just say, I want these gowns to be the nicest things that have ever left my sewing room.
This past week I joined SAGA, the Smocking Arts Guild of America. My intentions are to take every correspondence course I can to improve my skills and to learn absolutely everything they have to offer.  In the process of joining I have become friends with Carla, the  SAGA Membership Registrar, she has been so helpful and encouraging. I truly feel as though this is what I am intended to do...and that is a very nice feeling indeed.

Love to all,
Deb

16 comments:

deanna7trees said...

sounds like you are pretty serious about this smocking adventure and all done for a worthy cause. love the addition of the hearts. looking forward to seeing more of this.

Dorthe said...

You are a wonderful woman, dear Deb- your beautiful gowns will be a heartfelt gift for those mothers ,in a sorrow so very big.
The little heart and the adress, is wonderful ideas, too-
Hugs from Dorthe

ShirleyC said...

You are becoming quite the master smocker. You know they just had a SAGA convention in Dallas. I have a friend that went.
This gown is precious, and I'm not surprised about the special little hearts you are making. I know how you love those 'hearts'!

margaret said...

I am sure these beautiful little smocked gowns will be great comfort to the grieving families and yes it is right to attach your name and address

Suztats said...

Your gown is beautiful, made more so by the love in each stitch. The hearts are a thoughtful addition.....

Jillayne said...

What a wonderful post Deb... you never know where your creativity will lead you.
The little hearts are a brilliant idea, and the perfect companion to the gowns, something to hold on to and cherish. You are so thoughtful, and generous...

Carla Fiedler said...

Your gown is simply precious! The hearts and cards are charming additions to each gown and so thoughtful! (Thanks for your kind words; they were encouraging to me!)

desertskyquilts said...

I see growth and change in you through this project, which is really a ministry, in a way. You are touching the lives of families, and they are touching yours. It is very nice to find something that God wants us to do, and that we want to do and enjoy. =) I love how you are diving in deep and learning to be the best you can for these people who have lost so much.

Createology said...

Little woolen embroidered hearts to accompany such precious hand smocked tiny little gowns is the perfect touch. Finding your purpose is a gift as great as the gift you are giving to such sad circumstances happening too often. You are an angel dear...

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

The hearts are just precious, dear Deb and the gown is too.
Hugs and love,
Marie

Vicki Boster said...

Deb- this is the most amazing heartfelt creation that I have ever seen. I truly don't have words to describe this beautiful gown. You have no idea how these gowns will be loved and cherished. A Mother never forgets the loss of a child-- and I would imagine that from time to time there is a need to touch and hold something that was a part of that baby. You've created an heirloom to be cherished forever. The little hearts are precious-- omgosh-- they are such a special gift to cherish along with the gowns. I'm so glad you are including little cards also- someone- somewhere- sometime-- will want to thank you for this cherished gift.
Vicki
Ps-
I love you--

Magpie's Mumblings said...

God is working through you my friend.

suziqu's thread works said...

Dear Deb
Precious are these gifts to some poor grief stricken families. Your heart is pure gold dear friend and they will love you so much for your kindness.
Thank you dear Deb for your care in the passing of my dear Andrea.
With much appreciation and love,
Suzy

Beedeebabee said...

I just love what your doing, Deb. Your gowns are just beautiful and I love the precious little matching hearts, and that you're including a card with your name and address. You are such a sweetheart. xoxo

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Such a beautiful smocked gown Deb and the heart is such a lovely and thoughtful addition.

Sue (Someones Mom) said...

I love the idea of the added heart "to keep". I do believe you have truly found your passion. I envy you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...