Sunday, October 13, 2013

"Wee Care" Gown

My first "Wee Care" gown is complete!   The gown is one I began working on at home during my recent smocking lessons.  In my eagerness to learn, I cut out and pleated the fabric on my own.  There are several great video tutorials that demonstrate pleating and smocking on YouTube. So, if you live in an area without the benefit of smocking classes, you too CAN learn.
The dress fabric is batiste (I believe) I had in my stash. These little dresses use the full width of the fabric, but not much in length.    The pattern was found here on the Wee Care site.
You can find smocking patterns (plates) there as well.
The smocking plate is a diagram for your hand stitching, much like a cross stitch pattern.
 
Using 3 strands of embroidery floss you stitch along the top of each pleat.  The most important part, is the direction which thread is held  while stitching.  Meaning, if the thread is held above or below the needle as it is inserted into the fabric. That direction allows the threads to travel from pleat to pleat in an attractive manner.
 
There is a bias cut band on the neck and the sleeves that is attached with the sewing machine and turned to the inside and hand stitched into place.
You can see the band better in this photo without the bonnet.
I was lucky to have 2 daughters that loved dolls.  "Bitty Baby" made the perfect size model for this little dress.  I have a few other dolls that will model smaller dresses. 
 
 I spent the day with Vicki yesterday, we took photos of some of the pretty pink Breast Cancer scarves that have been donated.  Many of you, my friends, have donated your handmade scarves to this worthwhile cause.  Vicki works with tiny babies as a neonatal nurse, so I picked her brain to learn what would be the best design for these little dresses.  She was a wealth of information and I am so thankful. 
So there you have it, my first Wee Care gown and bonnet....I can hardly sit here long enough to write this post...I am wanting to go back and begin the next!  This time with a bit more experience, knowledge and no less enthusiasm.
 
Love to all,
Deb

19 comments:

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

How sweet is that! You did a wonderful job. Love all you do for breast cancer awareness. Read about your contribution over at 2 bags full. You rock!

deanna7trees said...

you did a beautiful job. can't wait to see more. it becomes addicting, doesn't it.

ShirleyC said...

It is so very sweet! I'm glad you are liking your new hobby.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Deb. You did the most wonderful job of creating that smocking on that wee pretty dress. Hugs Judy

margaret said...

a most beautifully stitched gown. Lucky you with a smocking pleater, I use the smocking dots but they are hard to find or sometimes use gingham fabric which makes life much easier.

DeeDee said...

Your work always so beautiful...a blessed baby will feel love surround it in this lovely... you are a special lady to share you work this way.. hugs

Suztats said...

So precious! Your smocking looks wonderful.

Createology said...

Deb this is sew very beautiful and precious for the little ones who aren't with us long. Your heart of generosity is amazing. Bless you dear...

FredaB said...

Deb you are doing wonderful in your smocking. It loks like an experienced smocker made this. Good for you and for such a good cause.

Hugs
FredaB

DreamChallenge said...

The smocking is so beautiful. Just read that you donates the felt leaves for Vicki's nests. We are blessed women to be able to share in that wonderful project. I was honored to use her Mom's yarn to make the tiny flowers.
Bless You. Jan

desertskyquilts said...

What a beautiful gift to grieving parents.

Vicki Boster said...

Deb- the gowns are so precious- even more beautiful in person. The thought that you could give so much of your talents for precious babies is so heartwarming. I can tell you for my long history of experience-- that these little gowns will be treasured more than what and words could express. For some parents-- this could be their one lasting memory to treasure.

Our day together was priceless--definately an adventure:)
Vicki

Lorraine said...

This gown is beautiful Deb! The parents that receive these will treasure them in what would/will be a difficult time, likely the most difficult of their lives. A ray of sunshine! Lovely girlfriend. Bet you enjoyed your day with Vicki.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

What a wonderful thing you are doing Deb! You wee gown is absolutely stunning.

Sue (Someones Mom) said...

It is precious and perfect. You did a beautiful job and such a wonderful thing you are doing. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Beedeebabee said...

This beautiful little gown is sooo precious, as is the reason you're making them. Your smocking is just lovely! That's something I'd never attempt...I know I'd be terrible at it! xo

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Hello Deb
you're so good at putting your talents to a worthy cause.
It's nice to see smocking coming back - perfect for these sweet baby smocks.
Happy weekend
hugs
Shane

Susan Elliott said...

I've just returned from Vicki's site and getting caught up on all you've been doing. Between your embroidered leaves for her scarves and your wee care gowns, you have given me hope for this world. We need more Deb Woods in the world. I had never heard of the wee care project and I think it's marvelous. I'd love to know if there is a program in our area so I'll take a look at the site. My brother lost a set of twins at 22 weeks so this would be a project close to home. They were girls so I really have 11 nieces, not nine.

The nests too are amazing. I own a nest of Vicki's and they just keep getting better and better. I love this new version that has contributing artists. You did a wonderful job. Nice to get caught up and keep on being beautiful you...xo Susan

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Very sweet Deb.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...