Thursday, June 19, 2014

Wedding Bottle, Puppy and Dyeing

Wedding bells are ringing once again, time for me to create a Wedding Bottle:
The existing bottle top is covered with copper foil and then solder is applied.  Patina completes the aged appearance.  Ribbons, cords and threads are wrapped and tied with the wedding colors in mind.

 The photo is placed inside the bottle by gently rolling it into a tube that will fit the opening.  Chopsticks are used to unroll the photo once it is inside the bottle. Sand, seashells and the tiniest bit of glitter were added, as a trip to the beach will be the honeymoon plans.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"And they called it Puppy Love"......
 This little fellow came to steal our hearts.
 He was one of those "free" puppies....there is no such thing as a free puppy.
He is 6 weeks old.
 Sweet a quiet one minute and ready to play the next.
Look at those needle teeth!!!  My hands look like I have been working with barbed wire.
 Exploring the sidewalk.
 Posing after digging in the sand that was left over from the recent stone work.
 Can't you see why I am head over heels?
 His mother a German Shepherd....the father, they think was a Boxer, but I am thinking a Lab, 
 What do you think?
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Smocking and Dyeing

 I have wanted to try using a variegated thread to make the Wee Care Gowns suitable for a boy or girl.  
 The DMC threads I have tried all have a color change that is too long.  My friend Lorraine did a post on some threads she had dyed using short spacing. After some advice from Lorraine I decided to try dyeing my own thread.
 I used DMC 6 strand embroidery floss and Rit dye. Lorraine suggested another brand of dye, but Rit was easy to find and I am familiar with using Rit.
 My first attempt....the colors were way too strong but the spacing is good.
On the next skein I used a diluted color and the results were great.
This may become my Signature Wee Care color!

Love to all,
Deb

19 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Puppy love indeed! What's his name? I want one!!!!!

Lorraine said...

We used to have one so am thinking a lab cross - what a face! I have a feeling we will be seeing lots more puppy photos :). Am delighted to see you tried some dyeing and the results look fabulous.

Joan@CopperCreeker said...

that's a great wedding memory gift. Oooo furbaby! what a sweet expression.

margaret said...

what a lovely way to remember a wedding. Smocking looks beautiful. Puppy looks a handful!

Mosaic Magpie said...

Trapper! There are others in his litter that are needing good homes!

Mosaic Magpie said...

Thank you for all your great advice!

Mosaic Magpie said...

He is a sweetie! I hope they like the bottle.

Mosaic Magpie said...

Puppy is indeed a handful!

Shirlee Fassell said...

Love the wedding bottle! The puppy is the sweetest.

Laurie M said...

I found you for the first time today, what beautiful work you do and that puppy is a sweetheart!

Vicki Boster said...

Who could not love that adorable face?? No wonder you've given him a new home!! He will be a good friend to your older dog:)

Love- love-- the wedding bottles- cutest idea I ever saw. They will go crazy for this!!

The new dyed threads are absolutely beautiful-- is there ANYTHING that you cannot do???? The colors are gorgeous on your precious wee gowns-- I think this is the perfect color choice for these beautiful treasures that you so lovingly create.

Love you-
Vicki

Suztats said...

Ah, puppy love....no wonder you are smitten! Love the wedding bottle and you did a great job on dyeing your thread!

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Your puppy is just adorable, Deb. Love the wedding bottle - what a treasure.
Have a lovely Sunday.
Hugs,
Marie

JennyPennyPoppy said...

The wedding bottle looks wonderful Deb and will be a special treasure indeed. Such an adorable puppy! No wonder you are smitten. Super smocking piece and your dyed threads using Rit look great. I have some too but haven't tried it out yet. Wonderful post and pictures :)

CYNTHIA CRANE said...

Oh, my goodness how talented you are Deb! The wedding bottle is a wonderful and unique little keepsake, and I can't imagine how you dyed that thread and smocked that lovely little Wee Care Gown. And your puppy! What a sweet little bundle of pure joy and love!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Sweet little fuzzy!!! Puppy breath, puppy bellies, puppy noises, puppy naps...LOVE IT ALL! Congratulations!

cottonreel said...

Love the smocking , I,m wondering do you use a pleating machine for the gathers

LesleyAnn said...

That puppy. Oh my goodness. I'd be right down in the floor wrestling with him and look like I'd been working with barbed wire too! ha Puppy breath. It makes me smile. He will be a good one ... and a big one.

Your Wee Care gowns are so lovely. Smocking is something I've wanted to learn but haven't gotten my 'round tuit yet. :-)

Wishing you a blessed day.

Wendy Green said...

Awww cute puppy! So sweet. Beautiful stitching!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...