Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Tattered Shirt to Apron

DH had thrown it in the trash, an oxford cloth shirt with the buttons still on it!  As I was cutting the buttons off I kept thinking how soft the cloth had become from years of washing and ironing.  My creative gears began to turn and the idea of an apron came to me. 
The back of the shirt became the front panel of the apron and the cuffs now are large pockets.
The front pocket of the shirt, I added to the center front of the apron.  
The opposite front side of the shirt is now a pocket that extends along the bottom of the apron.  The button band is the neck strap.
Most of the shirt was used in creating the apron, I liked it so much I wore it all day long!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wee Care Update:
 Size Tiny suitable for 1 pound.
Several in the works these two complete.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trapper continues to grow!  He weighed 6.2 pounds when we got him.  6 weeks later he has gained 20 pounds!  The vet says he will be a BIG boy!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been taking a correspondence course through SAGA, beginning smocking.  The first part of the course was a sampler of the different smocking stitches.  At different points the sampler was returned to the teacher for critique.  Each time the good, the bad and the ugly was pointed out to me.  LOL there was no mention of ugly, but those stitches that were not up to par were pointed out along with ideas on how to improve.  The stitches that were done well were also pointed out and gave me an example on how the stitch should look.  The critique was detailed and very helpful.  If you are wanting to learn to smock, I highly recommend the class.  
I have progressed to the final project a bishop dress.  Here the fabric has been pleated and I have stitched the cable, stem and outline stitches.


Summer is speeding right along, between the dogs, yard, stitching and housework it seems as though each day goes a little faster.  

Love to all,
Deb

23 comments:

deanna7trees said...

you transformed that shirt beautifully.

Joan@CopperCreeker said...

O i love your apron! soft worn cotton has a wonderful feel.

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Miss Gorgeous,
love your new Apron.The Wee gowns are simply beautiful. Have a lovely evening.
Hugs,
Marie

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

What a resourceful dolly you are Deb!
Love the apron - it looks amazing.
The Wee Care dresses are just adorable - such beautiful embroidery.
I've always wanted to try my hand at smocking... and once I finally give up work I will.
Yours looks lovely and such a pretty fabric.
Trapper is sooo cute!
Hope all's well with you dear Deb
Hugs
Shane x

Vicki Boster said...

Cutest thing I ever saw---- (and I love the apron too!!) I've seen these on Pintrest- but leave it to you to take these to a whole other level! This is just adorable. I sure wish I had saved some of my Dads shirts:(

The gowns and your smocking are amazing. I can't believe you can do this-- awesome girlfriend!!

Your puppy is adorable-- he's going to be big!! Has he chewed up your favorite shoes yet??
Love
Vicki

JennyPennyPoppy said...

You are so talented to turn a shirt into such a nice looking apron. You look so cute wearing it and there's no wonder that you wore it all day. The wee care gowns look so wonderfully made and the smocking - wow - looks pretty amazing.

Createology said...

Trapper is such a heart stealer! You are lovely and look fabulous wearing your uber clever apron from a dress shirt. Oh the tiny little Wee Gowns...I wish they are for little dolls and not for tiny premies. Your pleating and smocking are beyond amazing. I can imagine how much love you put into each and every tiny little stitch. Blessings and Bliss Dear...

Mosaic Magpie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mosaic Magpie said...

Thank you....I am thinking of looking in his closet for another shirt!!!

Mosaic Magpie said...

Thank You!!!

Mosaic Magpie said...

Yes, it does feel great.

Mosaic Magpie said...

All is well here, such a busy time of year....seems like every day is like that. The smocking is such a comfortable project to work on, you can take your time and not feel rushed, like some projects make you feel.

Mosaic Magpie said...

Those little dresses are for you when we get to meet for lunch one day. Shoes.....slippers.....sandals.....eyeglasses........you would think I am not watching him, by all he manages to get!

Mosaic Magpie said...

The apron was fun to make....I think I may have to make some more, I have had friends that now want one as well.

Mosaic Magpie said...

Yes, if only those dresses were for dolls and not sweet angels......

Mosaic Magpie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jillayne said...

Love your apron - how clever! No wonder you wore it all day long...
The tiny gowns are so sweet, and yet they are the result of a great sorrow; what a truly great thing you do Deb. Your smocking talents continue to amaze me, and that bishop's dress pleats make my eyes go buggy - seriously!

suziqu's thread works said...

Hi Deb you are such a clever chic! That apron is amazing and it so suits you!
Your smocking and those dear little gowns are just so special and, of course, Trapper is too.
He is such a cutie.
Thanks for your kind visit!
xox Suzy

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

You have been a busy young lady while I have been...busy. Difference is you have been busy making beautiful and thoughtful things while I have been busy doing...? What have I been doing. I truly admire you for making the tiny gowns that are so important to the families that receive them. My niece lost a premature baby and was a recipient of a gown. I still remember the tiny casket and how heartbreaking the loss was for the family. Cute and creative apron too.

shirley said...

your apron design is very clever. A great way of recycling. I went through a stage of smocking, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately the little girs all grew up so there was no one to make pretty dresses for, and I eventually sold my pleater and gave away my books to ladies who still smocked.
Your little baby dresses are just beautiful and how kind you are to support such a worthy cause.
i can still remember how little my sons pup was, and now she is very big. Like children the pets soon grow up

CYNTHIA CRANE said...

Your re-purposed man shirt turned apron is absolutely lovely! You look so darling in your photos and your little Trapper is a sweetie - just look at that face! I cannot fathom how you can do your lovely smocking - oh the patience you must have dear friend. Kudos to you, fantastic work! Cindy from TheCranesNest.com

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

That picture of Trapper is so cute! Love how you transformed your husband's old shirt into an apron. Very creative! I can't imagine that any of your stitches would need improvement. Your work is always exquisite. Best wishes, Tammy

Curtains in My Tree said...


you look so cute in that adorable apron you repurposed

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...