Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Beginnings

The New Year always reminds me of the first day of school.  New beginnings, fresh new notebooks, pencils, boxes of crayons, a new classroom and often for me a new school.  We moved 36 times as I was growing up and this lead to a great many new beginnings.  
I recently took an online Crazy Quilting class and this lead me to joining the "2015 Crazy Quilt Journal Project".  Each month through the year an 8" block is to be completed and embellished.  This is a learning opportunity and a chance to challenge your skills.  The projects are not graded but shared with the group for review and comment.
I wanted a project that would keep me involved, I have trouble with quickly losing interest and having yet another project end up in the UFO pile.  I also wanted to work on something that was useful...how many Crazy Quilt blocks does 1 girl need...I have no place to hang a wallhanging...so I had to put on my thinking cap.
I have recently seen beautiful Crazy Quilt bags, purses, and cell phone holders.  Pat Winter and  Annamaria have several on their blogs and Facebook pages.  So these, will be my focus and with several weddings coming up they will make nice gifts.

This first step is order a metal purse frame...you can find them on etsy, ebay and other purse making/crazy quilting supply websites. 
 After the frame arrives you draft a pattern using the frame as a guide.  I found several "pins" on Pinterest about creating a pattern for the purse.
Here is my pattern, I have cut the pattern out and kept the paper surrounding it...this will serve as a frame so to speak to help me decide which area of the 12" block I want to embellish.
 Here is the front :
And this will be the back:  
The pattern piece then is replaced  and a faint pencil line is drawn around it to help me confine my stitching. 
Edited to add:In the comments below MA suggests running a basting line of stitches instead of the pencil line.  This is an excellent suggestion...when I finish the purse the basting stitches will be a guide for my machine stitching.  

 Next comes the fun of gathering your threads and embellishments.  The fabrics are white and the purse frame is copper. I found a piece of antique silk ribbon for color inspiration.
I love the colors and they blend nicely with the frame.  Threads, laces, ribbons and lace motifs all were added to the pile.
I won't use them all but they are here for inspiration.
So cheers to another new beginning!  

Several bloggers choose a special word each year to serve a source of focus.  I gave it some thought and really nothing came to mind other than contentment.  Finding pleasure in the activities you choose to spend your time on, whether for a greater good, or to enrich your own soul. Take your time, enjoy the process, we are not in a race for the finish line, allow contentment to fill your heart.

Love to all,
Deb 


22 comments:

deanna7trees said...

you are so organized. love the frame you choose. it will be perfect for the vintage type cloth.

Laurie M said...

what a beautiful project, contentment sounds perfect,

Vicki Boster said...

My friend-/
I think there is nothing that you can not do.... This is such a unique idea and a perfect use for your crazy quilt block stitches. It's going to be gorgeous-- I have no doubt!! Will be anxiously awaiting progress photos:)

Wishing a most wonderful and bright New Year to you and your family. You are so precious to me-- I feel that we ARE family--
Love
Vicki

Createology said...

Contentment is such a calming thought. I love your CQ purse and the beautiful elements you are auditioning. Yes to a fresh new beginning and contentment my dear.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've never attempted making a bag using a metal frame - perhaps I might give it a try if I have you as inspiration! Will have to troll the thrift stores to see if I can get a frame to play with. (btw....instead of drawing a faint pencil line around your stitching area, try just running a line of basting stitches - then you don't run the risk of having your pencil line showing when you're finished). Happy 2015!

margaret said...

I am so going to enjoy following your CQJP I am not doing it this year but I was a good girl and finished last year`s on 31st.
I too have some purse clasps now where are they?

Sandy said...

What a great idea! I, too, am in the challenge and have been going through all kinds of ideas for what to do - I think I might do as you in a future year. I have several purse frames and have them all matched with fabrics and embellishments, but haven't done anything further - a great idea for UFO's! I can't wait to see what yours look like - I have admired all your work. We have a lot in common - it's no wonder we love the same things. Have a great January and am looking forward to following you on CQI.

Suztats said...

This is a great idea for the CQJP! I now have 2 wall hangings and a tree skirt unfinished, so I didn't sign up this year as I want to complete all my UFO's and try a few other things.....May you find much contentment in creativity!

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Happy New Year Deb! Your CQ purse is going to look super with the colours you have chosen. Will definitely be looking forward to seeing your work on it. Ah - contentment - a marvelous word.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Everyone is coming up with so many wonderful words for the new year. I think I need to embrace them all. :) Whatever you create, whether big or small, is always so very beautiful, detailed and filled with love. Wishing you all the best for 2015. Tammy

Dorthe said...

Oh this looks stunning, dear , what wonderful little purse, and those thing of beauty you collected to maybe use, are all so adorable...I want to touch :-) love your colour combinations of all !!
Have a Happy New Year starting with this beautiful creation.
Hugs,Dorthe

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I was just telling a friend the other day that same thing. It's like the new school year! I love the new calendar, the new goals, the new projects. So much fun.
Love that little purse. It's going to be gorgeous!
Happy New Year!

Theresa said...

Beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished project! Sounds like a fun year ahead:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

This will be sooo gorgeous, dear Deb. Have the most wonderful 2015!
Hugs,
Marie

desertskyquilts said...

Contentment is a good one - sort of goes along with Jenny's year of gentle domesticity. That's a very pretty block and I know the purse will turn out beautiful. I don't know that I could ever give up my CQ to someone else that way. It's a lot of work! =) I hope this new beginning signals the way the year will go on. I'm going to love seeing what your blocks are like this year, too.

Susan Lenz said...

Beautiful use of vintage linens. No doubt this will end up a very, very beautiful work. Thanks for the comment on my blog ... and, yes, the "Gossip Project" should be interesting when our pieces are revealed. Our group includes (in addition to me)a stone carver, a non-objective abstract expressionist painter, an impressionist landscape painter, others who work in acrylic, and a clay artist. Hopefully, the works will at least have some tidbits that flow from one piece to the next!
Susan

Susan Elliott said...

Happy New Year and congratulations on joining the CQJP! I will look forward to seeing your pieces and hearing your stories. I'm feeling content just thinking about it! ;)

Gaby Bee said...

What a wonderful idea. Can't wait to see the finished project!

Wishing you all the best for 2015.

Jillayne said...

I love the new year as well, for all the same reasons you have listed here. I love how we look afresh to a new year with high hopes and a desire for improvement - it's a wonderful thing.
I also love your crazy-quilting project you have laid out here - it is going to be so pretty!!
All the best wishes for a truly wonderful year Deb.
Warm hugs from Jillayne

suziqu's thread works said...

What a great idea to start a crazy quilting project that is small and useful. I love that little purse frame and the materials you have gathered together co-ordinate so very well.
I really hope sewing, quilting and embellishing this dear little purse bring much contentment!
Oh how I just love that word to focus on!

Shirlee Fassell said...

Love your blog I am a follower already and enjou your posts!

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Oh Deb, I love this little CQ bag, such beautiful fabrics and stitching.
I don't know what I would do with lots of blocks either as wall space is at a premium for me too!
You are so creative Deb.
love
Shane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...