Thursday, April 21, 2016

Sheep Shearing Season!

 For a girl in love with all things fibery, it's the most wonderful time of the year...sheep shearing season!  These sheep live right down the street.  For years (even before learning to spin) I have watched with anticipation, the arrival of the Spring lambs. Now, I also have an interest in how long their fiber has grown during the past year. 

Here are some photos from earlier this week as the sheep are being sheared.

This is a grey Coopworth sheep, the wool is sun bleached on the tips.

The shearer is settling the sheep to begin shearing.
It is amazing how still they lay seemingly unbothered  by the shearing.

The process takes about 5 minutes.  This shearer told me he has been doing this for 30 years.  In keeping with the family tradition, his son shears with him.


Shearing complete.




Back out in the field to enjoy the Spring sunshine.


I brought the fleece home and began my part of the processing.
The fleece is picked over, skirted, washed, then laid out to dry.
Warm freshly washed fleece!

Thank you Leonard for allowing me to watch the shearing and especially for the fleece!

Love to all,
Deb

8 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

What fun to be able to watch the process, and to get a fleece too! I will be waiting to see what you make with it.

margaret said...

good to catch up with you Deb, always amazes me when I the sheep shearing on tv they make it look so easy, have fun with your fleece

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Bet this was so interesting to see. I suppose those sheep get pretty comfortable with the sheering process. Bet the know how much better they will feel without that heavy load to carry!
xx, Carol

Vicki Boster said...

Had no idea you had sheep close by! I'd love to see this process. So much fun! You will make beautiful yarns from this wool-- that totally amazes me!

Love you--
Vicki

desertskyquilts said...

How exciting to get to watch the whole process! What are you going to do with your wool?

Linda said...

They are all so beautiful! :)

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Hi Deb, great pictures and so nice to read your post. How wonderful to live so close to a sheep farm! Looking forward to seeing your fleece spun and dyed :)

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Deb. I just love sheep. You make me miss wool and spinning...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...